ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Read which Linux distro users think is best and why ...

(1/2) > >>

KenR:
Readers, in your opinion, what is the very best Linux distro and why? I have heard everything from Ubuntu (though it isn't clear how you pronounce it) to Gentoo, Knoppix, Debian, Xandros, Linspire, and so on...You can see the dilemma. For anyone who isn't familiar with Linux, or someone just starting out with Linux, which distro is the best? The easiest to install? Easiest to use? Which comes with the most or best applications pre-bundled? Best for XP users who want to play with Linux? Best Live CD Linux? ...

--- End quote ---

Read the original thread to see how users responded ...

from www.downloadsquad.com

housetier:
The best is what I use and that is ubuntu.

No doubt 'bout it!  :Thmbsup: :huh: :P ;D ;D ;D ;D

Edvard:
No doubt Ubuntu is very easy to use with all the power you could expect from a linux distro. But being a "everything included" sort of thing, I was not fully aware of all that was/was not installed. Sure I could open the package manager and take a peek, but I prefer knowing what I'm installing and why and where it is.
So I run teh Slackware, natch!

Josh:
You can do that in ubuntu, just use the misc install iso.

Eóin:
If you're starting off then Ubuntu without a shadow of a doubt. If you know what you're doing then Gentoo or FreeBSD are very viable choices. Personally I run Zenwalk which is Slackware on Xfce in stead of KDE but thats just for the moment probably, I change very frequently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version