Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 19, 2014, 06:56:41 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Beta: fSekrit 1.3 beta thread  (Read 16203 times)
f0dder

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 18, 2006, 02:51:59 AM »

Believe it or not, I'm still working on fSekrit smiley

I've set the release schedule for v1.3 at my birthday, October 15th. But I already have a beta version ready, for those that are interested (I suspect AbteriX will be, since I've added read-only notes support smiley).

So far:
BETA1:
  • added:  read-only notes, finally smiley
  • bugfix: changing key on unsaved document would crash
  • bugfix: saving an empty document would crash

* fSekrit-1.3-beta1.zip (52.24 KB - downloaded 443 times.)

- carpe noctem
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:31:01 AM »

Small suggestion: How about adding a right click context menu for copy, cut and paste functions. Sometimes they're more useful than the keyboard shortcuts.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 05:50:20 AM »

Thank you f0dder!  smiley

Brainstorming:

If i use "Make read only"
there is most of the file menu greyed out,, but the NEW button is still active.
So i can make a new EXE, which is still an r/o one and have the same PW as the original.

So i have this question:
why is the NEW button active for r/o fSekrit.exe's ?
Have anyone a need for this?

With this 1.3 beta1 i can use the NEW button
to reimport the text from a temp text file
and save it as new fSekrit.exe.
I would prefer to use the orignal exe to make new fSekrit files,
.. other people should use there own copy. Wink
So i think i have no need for this NEW button.  undecided

Greetings, Stefan.
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 05:55:10 AM »

this entry is not greyed out ... still clickable.. but of course without function.

Question:
should'nt this entry be greyed out too, if it once was clicked?

Greetings, Stefan.
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 06:04:23 AM »

the  "save" and "save as" is greyed out.

I can only save it if i close with the [X] button.

I suggest instead of  the "Make read only" entry
an "Save as read only.." entry
and disable the entry in the new created r/o exe only.

Greetings, Stefan.
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 06:09:28 AM »

If i use this "Make read only" entry
in an exe which was created from the original exe
i get the following error in this daughter exe:

Steps to reproduce:
1.) original fSekrit.exe
2.) make an new r/w exe
3.) oben this new r/w exe
4.) press  "Make read only"
5.) modify the content a lil bit
6.) use [X] to close
7.) Dialog "do you wanna save"  -- yes
8.) Dialog: "Error. File is read only"

Greetings, Stefan.
f0dder

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 06:34:45 AM »

Small suggestion: How about adding a right click context menu for copy, cut and paste functions. Sometimes they're more useful than the keyboard shortcuts.

Ah, yeah, my younger brother mentioned that too - I thought that was standard RichEdit functionality, but appearantly I'll have to code it myself. I've added it to the ToDoList - as a low priority item, but it's probably easy so it should be done for 1.3 smiley

AbteriX: I left "New" enabled since it can be useful to make a new note, without the hassle of downloading fSekrit from the internet. Password could be cleared on "New", but that wouldn't change much - after all, people could just re-enter that password after making a new note. I *did* disable import and export tongue

I'll think a bit about it though. Anybody else have comments on "File->New"?

File->readonly will now be grayed out after setting read-only, added in beta-2 (will make some more fixes before uploading a new beta).

Your "Save as read only" is a good suggestion, and will get around some stupid problems, like the one in your latest post. Obviously I didn't test it extensively, hence: BETA. Thanks for giving it a bash!

- carpe noctem
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 07:08:59 AM »

Wow, after a long lull you're all about editing fsekrit -- makes me happy.

I agree that a save as read only function would be a good idea -- but to keep from being locked out of your files, you'd need an option to re-enable editing (password entry required).  This would probably be handy anyway.

These ideas are probably extending beyond the intended scope for fsekrit, but I'll throw it out here anyway--what about the ability to optionally set a secondary read-only password. Entering it would open the file in read only mode, so you could share the data with others at your discretion without giving them the ability to edit it.

Edit I spoke too soon, it's already been brought up tongue
f0dder

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 07:19:20 AM »

allen: spare time and energy/motivation comes and goes, and what I need is the intersection of the two... fortunately I seem to be in a good period smiley

You won't be locked out of your notes since you can copy text from a read-only and paste to another app. Removing the ability to copy would be a somewhat artifical limit, people with access could just manually copy the text (painstaking, but possible).

The idea of an EDIT and a READONLY password is decent enogh, but that's a very artificial limit as well. After all, I have plans on opensourcing fSekrit at some point in time, and then it'd be easy for people to bypass ReadOnly. You really should think mostly of it as a "convenience".

- carpe noctem
jonsen
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:06:44 AM »

Small suggestion: How about adding a status bar ? tongue
f0dder

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »

Small suggestion: How about adding a status bar ? tongue

What kind of status bar? smiley

As for your privmsg about chinese translation, currently fSekrit isn't very translation-friendly... but I might consider support for that in the feature, probably along with unicode support. That's still a bit in the future, though.

- carpe noctem
jonsen
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 08:47:09 AM »

Believe it or not, I'm still working on fSekrit smiley

I've set the release schedule for v1.3 at my birthday, October 15th. But I already have a beta version ready, for those that are interested (I suspect AbteriX will be, since I've added read-only notes support smiley).

So far:
BETA1:
  • added:  read-only notes, finally smiley
  • bugfix: changing key on unsaved document would crash
  • bugfix: saving an empty document would crash

Today is Oct 16th in China,and it's Oct 15th in America  cheesy
I know it's your birthday, Happy Birthday!

I like FSekrit1.3 very much  tongue tongue tongue tongue
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 08:49:04 AM »

EhEh... How cool is that?
Congratulations f0dder! Happy birthday cheesy

f0dder

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 09:08:15 AM »

But I've been too busy to get 1.3 finalized embarassed - will probably take a couple of weeks. Sowwy!

- carpe noctem
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 01:07:12 AM »

Oh, yes!
Happy Birthday to f0dder  Thmbsup

Sorry iam so far away... to bussy ATM  to contribute anything.

Greetings, Stefan.
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 04:14:27 AM »

H...B...f... greenclp - hope it isn't a too depressing one!

f0dder

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 04:40:44 AM »

Thanks, people smiley

And not, it certainly wasn't depressing... got powdered in cinnamon (seems to be a Danish-only tradition?) since I'm now 25 and not married. A friend got so drunk he passed out and pissed our sofa, finally giving us the last excuse to toss that 15-year-old piece of junk and buy a new one. And a friend who studies physics showed up pretty drunk already wielding two coffee cans full of liquid nitrogen. So not depressing at all, rather much a barrel of fun smiley

- carpe noctem
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 05:41:24 AM »

It's hard to be depressed at 25 (or is it .... I do't remember much I was too pissed at the time) .... the big 5 is approaching for me - now that is depressing!

f0dder

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 05:49:09 AM »

Carol, if you write in hex it's just 32 - no big deal smiley

- carpe noctem
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 07:28:38 AM »

And if I use base 50 I'm not yet 1, which would make a nice new start to life.

No where is that bottle ...

allen
Charter Member