ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advantages and disadvantages of NNTP Newsreaders

<< < (4/5) > >>

craigcolby:
What about News Rover? It is very good, but for the timid, the learning curve of the newsreader is a little steep

Curt:
I tried various readers but was annoyed that I had to open the program to read the news. I much prefer to have the news delivered to my mail inbox (because Outlook is placed in Start), so now I use the old but free RSS Popper (which has not been updated for 3 years); it does the job. Edit: Integrated with the context menu: Subscribe in RSS Popper

Edit2: I have no idea what a NNTP Newsreader is.

RSS Popper is a news aggregator add-in for Outlook & Outlook Express. News items delivered directly to Outlook as e-mails. No need to use a separate program for reading RSS anymore. All RSS/RDF/Atom formats are supported.

Just download, install, set you favorite news feeds, and you're ready to go.

Features (Partial list):

* Supports MS-Outlook 2000, XP, 2003 (RSS Popper)
* Outlook Express 6 (RSS Popper for Outlook Express)
* Supports all RSS, Atom & RDF versions
* Support Podcasts
* Bloglines.com synchronization
* NewsGator Online synchronization
* Enable full page download to Outlook (i.e. Off-line view)
* OPML Import/Export
* And much more...-Saturday, October 16, 2004
--- End quote ---

http://rsspopper.blogspot.com/2004/10/home.html

Renegade:
+1 for XNews

I find it does what it's supposed to do and is easy to use.

PlayPhil:
Wondering if anyone here has tried Gravity v2.7 available for free from Steve Gibson's site (Gibson Research Corp) available on his Discussions page.

Have to admit I'm a fan of Steve's and he also supports (for community's sake) using M$ie's Browser & Ouchlook EggStress, the latter I refuse to use. Like others above I prefer text and at the same time not open a Pandora's box...

f0dder:
Fan of steve? poor soul. More appropriate to link to gravity itself imho.

I personally like the Outlook Express interface quite a bit, and it's a very lightweight application as well... but I don't use it because of the security implications. Thunderbird comes pretty close (even if noticeably more sluggish) so that's what I use for NNTP now - mail still handled by TheBat, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version