ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advantages and disadvantages of NNTP Newsreaders

<< < (2/5) > >>

KenR:
EDIT: gave Omea a try, a bit too much on the heavy end for me. It used 50% CPU (which means 100% on one of my dual cores) when typing in the name of a group to watch, and for some reason it thought I was author of all posts in comp.lang.asm.x86. Oh well, it was worth a shot :)
-f0dder (September 18, 2006, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey f0dder,
Thanks for letting me know that about Omea. I never checked on resources it was using. I think it has a lot going for it, but it does appear to have some significant drawbacks as well.
Ken

Darwin:
atm I am using Feeddemon for RSS and OE for NNTP (and like f0dder ONLY for NNTP).  I got Feeddemon by virture of having purchased Newsgator a couple of years ago to read RSS from within Outlook. I got fed up of the limitations in Newsgator but really like Feeddemon so that investment long ago was not for naught!

I'm open to suggestions for alternatives, though, and am monitoring this thread...

crono:
I used XanaNews (http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm) a lot. Now I'm just fine with Tunderbird. Omea looks great, maybe I give it a try :)

sbb123:
I like 40tude's Dialog newsreader. I used to use Xananews but have recently switched; they're similar in many ways. Both are excellent NNTP newsreaders.

http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

JavaJones:
I think there's a sharp division in which reader is appropriate based on whether you focus more on binary (file) downloads or conversations/text/posting. If the former then you really want a client that specializes in that. If the latter, likewise. Thunderbird is a very capable simple read and post client, likewise Outlook Express is decent. I personally don't find much need to go beyond either one unless I am wanting to download a bunch of stuff in which case the options become quite extensive and I really don't have a good recommendation there beyond the widely respected and highly reated Newsleecher ($).

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version