ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advantages and disadvantages of NNTP Newsreaders

(1/5) > >>

KenR:
I am currently using Agent 4 for newsgroups. While I don't have anything strong against it, I am not thrilled with it either and wanted to get the input of others on alternative news readers, particularly News Rover and Newsleecher or any others they think are great.

What information can people provide about these programs? Is anyone familiar with all of them who could discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each? References to other reviews of these programs would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

KenR:
Ok, let me be the first to reply to my own message. I just discovered a new program called Omea (there is a free basic version as well as the usual vastly more able pro version) that is very nice. It does both RSS and NNTP, and many more things in the pro version. It is available at http://www.jetbrains.com/ and looks very good too. Anyone familiar with it?

Ken

Eóin:
I use Thunderbird myself. I don't actually like the program all that much but it does everything I need :) .

KenR:
Ok, I think I'm in love. I have been working with the basic (free version) of Omea and it's wonderful. I would encourage everyone to take a look at this program. It has a great UI, is incredibly versatile, and integrates the functionality of a NNTP news, RSS subscriptions, a browser, contacts, and notes. You can set up workspaces and show information in different ways. The pro version will do emails and sync with Outlook as well as index files, Miranda, and ICQ chats.

Here's a quite from the site: "Omea Pro 2.1 replaces tools like your Email Organizer, Desktop Search Utility, RSS Reader, Personal Information Manager, Newsgroup Reader, Task Manager, Contact Manager, Bookmark Manager, and Instant Message History Manager. It can also read your Files in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and view your Pictures, in one Integrated Information Environment."

One important fact about newsgroups though, the program only seems to handle TEXT, not BINARIES.

Ken

f0dder:
I personally use Outlook Express for NNTP - and only for that. All other NNTP clients I've come about had pretty disagreeable user interfaces - especially Agent :)

OE isn't perfect though, it's a bit sluggish if you keep downloaded messages and get large message bases, etc etc etc. I guess I'll give Omea a try.

EDIT: gave Omea a try, a bit too much on the heavy end for me. It used 50% CPU (which means 100% on one of my dual cores) when typing in the name of a group to watch, and for some reason it thought I was author of all posts in comp.lang.asm.x86. Oh well, it was worth a shot :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version