ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

media icons - suggestions please.

(1/5) > >>

nudone:
i mentioned something about icons before - well, about managing icons for file types. Iphile was the answer.

now, i realise there is one further step to complete...

if, like me, you try out different media players or image managers and let these programs associate themselves with your files, you'll find that your icons keep changing to whatever the associated program wants to use.

thankfully, Iphile can keep things in order by saving categories of icons - so, you could have a standardised/default set of icons just for your media files regardless of the program that is associated with them.

my current problem is that i'd like a really nice set of icons that i can assign to my media files (audio, video, image) and then keep them that way. i could start designing my own icons to use but i don't think it's worth reinventing the wheel on this one.

there must be lots of nice looking icons out there that clearly display what file type the icon represents at the various icon sizes.

now, i'm thinking that something that was thoughtfully colour coded as well as displaying the extension letter would be good. so, as an example something like:

.psd file would be kinda blue to match the photoshop .exe feather icon
.pdf file would be kinda red to match acrobat
.ai file would be kinda orange to match illustrator icon

being more general, things like .avi, .mov, .mpg, would have a nice video type icon with the extension stamped over the top. similar sort of thing with .mp3 and .wav or .ogg or whatever. yeah, and .jpg, etc.

so here's the question: does anyone know of any nice icon sets without me having to click through a load of dodgy websites?

thanks.

Eóin:
There are many excellent icon sets to be found on deviantART. Here's a direct link to the relevent category.

jgpaiva:
I have bad news for you, nudone.
Even though your solution is out there, this will be one of your main reasons for procastination.
There's lots of stuff to go through when you talk about icons. I have about 550mb of them. That means 4300 icons.
But i only use one selected group. The problem is getting one pack that will have all the icons you need in the same style.

One place that was mentioned here at the forum and has fantastic artwork is www.dlanham.com . Not only icons but also wallpapers. Definitelly worth looking at.
At deviantart, there's sooo much (good) stuff, that you'll have material for weeks (maybe years? :P).

Eóin:
One place that was mentioned here at the forum and has fantastic artwork is www.dlanham.com . Not only icons but also wallpapers. Definitelly worth looking at.
-jgpaiva (September 17, 2006, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fantastic site.

app103:
 I don't know of any icon sets that would be exactly what you described, but the Silk collection at FamFamFam.com is great...and published under a Creative Commons license that allows you to change them any way you wish.

There are about 1000 icons in that set and there are some other sets on the site, as well. They are in .png format, so you will have to convert them to .ico.

I was thinking that you could add the text you want to them. It is also possible that if you explained to the artist that created those collections exactly what you are thinking, that he may just make a set and put them on the site for everybody. He loves making icons and giving them away for free. He finds it very relaxing.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version