topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us your (physical) desktop  (Read 133775 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us your (physical) desktop
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2007, 08:10 AM »
I think App or Carol mentioned those gadgets a while ago... Anyway, first google result for "matrox vga split":
Hum.. interesting idea they had. I thought it wasn't possible, that's why i asked ;)
At 169$ it might be a bit too pricey, but still interesting if i one day decide that 2880x~900pixels aren't enough ;)
Thanks f0dder :)

freon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 08:27 PM »
I gave April (app) a picture of my desktop and she showed me this forum that others had posted pictures of their desks.  So I registered and wanted to share my desktop with you all even though majority of you have not met me or even know who I am.

But on the desk, 20" BenQ, 19" LG, and a 32" Hyundai TV... and the faithful coffee cup.
desktop.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Ooh, joy- I get to show off my new computer setup :D

Basically I have 2 3 desktops (computers), hooked to ONE monitor (old desktop = VGA, new (Gaming) desktop = DVI)

The desktop on the left is my new gamer, an eMachines (yes, I am able to run Xbox 360 type games on an eMachines...) and the one on the right is my working/guest computer/outside world communications computer. The third PC is a WIP that is basically doomed to be taken apart, but atm it is still in one piece, begging for RAM and a HD.

The keyboard/mouse setup is...uhh...uhh...well......it speaks for itself :P

and I have yet to put the new computer speakers into the old computer *adds to list*

I have my Linksys Wireless WRT300N (Draft N) router up atop my computer cabinent, now home to my Xbox/PS2/TV/random stuff I will find in 10 years (dead bodies of visitors, etc ;D)

As far as back/wrist stuff goes...my chair offers none of either, and is broken (I am doomed to become a cube, smashed under the chair yelling for help ;D)

For those of you with broadband, I am (right now) uploading a vid of it to YouTube. IMO, better then the pictures. I will edit this post when it is done.
Here is the link, 43 seconds, so not a big download :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MBtC9dTmeck
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:20 PM by wreckedcarzz »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Here you go, sorry about the crappy quality, I don't take many pictures, and when I do, I can't stop shaking the camera. (lets see if I can figure out how the attach image works)

Picture 1.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop
Picture 2.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop
Picture 3.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop
[Insert really cool signature here]

TOOWILD

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2007, 04:05 PM »
My "Beast"
IMG_0285.JPG
System: eight quad core extreme - hybrid cooling system - 32GB Ram 1Gbs bus between each board, 1 main mouse / keyboard, 3 monitors with a 4th 47 inch in the next room (ADR Room) . 17TB storage with a B-Raid you cant see here. This is what we do films on so we had to have the best.
15Mbs internet connection, 1Gbs Lan to systems in the rest of the house, Cisco router / gateway.
Custom processor bus for parallel processing. Will encode 2 hours of raw High Def video to Bluray (50GB) in 1 min 12 seconds with a heavy system load. Obviously - this is not for playing MP3's But they do sound good in THX Ultra!
Sound studio is to the right Looping (ADR) is to the left Behind this POV is the door to the main soundstage

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Beautiful.. i'm starting to get 3-screen envy..

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 06:03 PM »
zomg I have the same phone as you TOOWILD ;D

TOOWILD

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 07:26 PM »
Yea its funny how they cant make a $300 that works for squat, but can make a $6 phone talk and have a full OS on it. LOL  ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2007, 02:01 AM »
TOOWILD, i think that's the first time i've been impressed by reading the numbers.

(i wonder how long it will take before a typical high end desktop machine will match all that. ten years?)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2007, 10:04 AM »
Will encode 2 hours of raw High Def video to Bluray (50GB) in 1 min 12 seconds with a heavy system load.

holy...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 04:49 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
- carpe noctem

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 04:56 AM »
f0dder is having  :o overload ..   ;D That's one wicked looking set up you got there TOOWILD..  :Thmbsup: You guys are so lucky, with your damn 3 screen set ups :P
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 01:19 PM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Yes!!! exactly.

TOOWILD

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Nudone, my understanding is that 16 core processors are already in R&D and 100 Core processors are in the planning stages. Mine has a total of 32 cores  So I'm guessing you will see the same power in a single box in less than 5 years, The design that it uses has been around for a long time, the multi-thousand CPU system used to crack DES encryption is the same basic design - and that machine would be somewhere around 1000 times faster and that was back in the mid 90's - The basic layout was developed by the IBM and the NSA back in the 70's. The Problem, I see is the people at the top of the food chains being ultra greedy to the point where DRM is being built into hardware  I see a battle coming and its a winner takes all battle. The freedom of information - or the total lock-down of information, you cant control the internet obviously, so the only way to control copyrights completely is to control all the hardware completely. Steps are already being taken in that direction. But every major Hollywood meeting I go to is the same thing - PLUG THAT HOLE! (The Analog hole) They know that if you can hear it or see it, you can record it and copy it and this is what they want to stop. Macrovision Inc (Who most people are not aware own the "Realtek" sound codecs that most sound onboard mobos use) has a feature that they may start to put in the audio tracks of films - Hiss - but its in a pattern - during a quiet part of the film you can hear it. But the idea is to make it so that camcorders and audio recorders and all other major devices that hear this hiss will refuse to record. So forget recording your kids birthday party if they are watching "Tomb Raider" within earshot. Apparently their rights are "more equal" than yours. The technology will grow fast, but unless we stop all this DRM stuff cold by refusing to buy products with it you may not want one of those machines when they do hit the shelves.
Peace out 8)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Yeah, but in 5 years you'll be running a computer with 320 cores ;D

Macrovison owns Realtek? Or do Macrovision develop the software used by Realtek chips? *Hugs his Analog Devices chip*

(Hollywood meetings... I can hear the forum rumbling... Who will be this TOOWILD guy? :D)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2007, 05:37 AM »
Grmbl, they're going to add Macrovision to sound now as well?

It really makes me wonder, they should've realized that Macrovision on video has not stopped a single pirate, and only makes fair use for the end-user harder. Why the bloody fsck can't the media industry wake up and smell the coffee?

Sure thing, they're greedy... but you don't have to be an ignorant stupid dumbfsck just because you're greedy! (I'm a prime example of that :p)
- carpe noctem

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you SURE you want to see this?
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2007, 10:18 AM »
02-09-07_1208.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1209.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1210.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1211.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1212.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1213.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1214.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop 02-09-07_1215.jpgShow us your (physical) desktop

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2007, 10:37 AM »
OK toowild, what are you compensating for?  :P (Reality: I am in the clutches of the green monster... :mrgreen:).

TOOWILD

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2007, 11:52 AM »
 :P Its all good Darwin, I can laugh at myself. (It helps  a lot around tax season)
Say there Scancode.... ummmmm..... not sure what to say... Thats the home of a hacker to be sure!
The local fire dept knows where you live.... Right? I hope?
My daughter used to take the dead CD's (I see you have yours neatly organized on your floor there), and put them in her easy bake oven. (I don't recommend that activity) Since then she has moved on to boys... I wish she would put THEM in an easy bake oven. No such luck. 
So is that your bedroom or what is that?

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2007, 07:58 PM »
TOOWILD: Yep, that's my bedroom. Nope, the fire dept won't care if anything blows up [they don't know what a computer is]. Give your daughter a nice can of pepperspray and tell her that's a magical spray that will make boys happy, especially when applied THERE.
Thanks for the good laugh :]

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2007, 02:59 PM »
Scancode:  Looks alot like my computer room, only more domestics and not quite enough opened up hardware  :P .  Don't know if it is good or bad, but since I moved into my mom's house to take care of her, I never got my computer room setup again.  She passed away 6 months after we moved in, and that was about 7 months ago, so I guess it has been about a year since I had that.  Since then I have been stuck (lucky enough, depending on your outlook) to have a laptop that works on the kitchen table when we don't eat there.  :D  If it weren't for that, I would have posted a picture just so you don't feel so bad.

Austilious

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2007, 10:12 PM »
Here is my rig
Austilious4601c3613f600.jpg

The specs
AMD Sempron 3300+
1gb of Ram
290 gb total of hard drive space
GeForce 6800 XTreme
TV Tuner/Capture Card

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2008, 03:40 AM »
I apologize for reviving this thread, but this morning made me laugh how my desktop changed during the past couple of weeks:

Desktop-detail.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2008, 01:48 PM »
ah yes.. congrats yksyks (or should that be - hope you have enough energy to enjoy!)
Tom

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Thanks! So far so good. I should have added though that my cell phone place on the desktop took a wireless baby monitor...