topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BetaMarker: A Digg-like site for software  (Read 3564 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
BetaMarker: A Digg-like site for software
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I suspect that the gaming/manipulation that will occur here by companies in order to artificially promote their programs to the top will be unprecedented if this site ever becomes popular, but it's still an interesting idea.

But unlike other software sites where the content is created and regulated by administrators, Beta Marker is governed as a pure democracy. The people, software enthusiasts around the world - you, rule this domain.

Free press.Beta marker members can submit any software they like to the site. The software may be in alpha, beta or final development stages. It may have a large software company behind it or a one-geek team.

Majority Rule.All software is voted on by other Beta Marker members. If the software rocks, it will be voted for by many members and be promoted to the home page where it will be shared with all Beta Marker members. If it sucks, members will vote against it and it will be removed.

from alt.comp.freeware post

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BetaMarker: A Digg-like site for software
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 01:59 PM »
hmm if the principle is flawed more and maybe better looking sites won't have a positive effect. I mean as soon as I read "create digg-like websites" I thought "oh great, even more wishy-washy sites..."   :o

But thinking about it a little more, if these sites managed to specialize it could become interesting and useful. digg is interesting and popular but is is not useful.