topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: move files to defined folders  (Read 8885 times)

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Is cheese the plural of choose?????
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: move files to defined folders
« on: September 14, 2006, 02:58 PM »
I don't know about all of you but I have a habit of downloading lots of files to my documents then moving them to different folders depending on the extension.

I'm looking for some easy way to automatically place files into different folders depending on the file extension, I realise I could do this with a batch file but it would be a bit of a pain to easily maintain/change the file to move the files.

Anyone fancy making something or knows of anything that would easily do this.
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: move files to defined folders
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:56 PM »
how about using a download manager like flashget, it can download files to different folders base on extensions.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:58 PM »
I knew someone out there was going to suggest something like that :)

I use opera and haven't found a download manager that integrates easily with it yet (or I should probably say that operas support for download managers is rubbish)

I'm just looking for something thats going to quickly tidy up the contents of a folder with one click or automatically that I can schedule to run one a day (or week).
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:29 AM »
Try this : Works pretty well when I played around with it. Unfortunately, it's no longer being developed. It's now abandoned ware. So try the link at http://www.freeware-guide.com/download/

Freeware Orphans, The Lost Freeware
"Log Monitor
Version: 1.4.2
Release date: 07/25/2002
Author: Vadim Dumbravanu
Home Page: http://www.bitrix.ru/logmon/eng/
License: Freeware
Download size: 596 kB
Description:
Log Monitor is a files and directories monitoring tool. The program periodically checks selected file's modification time and executes external program if file's time was changed or not changed. For directories it handles such events as files change, addition or removal.
Features:
- Several files can be monitored simultaneously, each file has its own interval and is processing in the separate thread.
- List of files stores in the configuration file.
- Minimizes to System Tray.
- There is ability to pause monitoring of selected files. "Paused" state can be stored in the configuration file.
- Works on the schedule, can check files and directories only during selected time interval and days of week.
- Ability to pass changed/added file(s) information to the external program via parameters."
http://www.freeware-guide.com/download/

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:08 AM »
ahh, found one:

Intelligent Copier
 Intelligent Copier is an automatic file mover and copier. It offers a window that you can drag files onto, and will then copy or move them based on your settings. For example, you could choose to move all .mp3 files into the C:Music folder or copy any .doc file into your My Documents folder etc. In addition, you can automatically skip a file that is older than an existing one or to overwrite existing files. Intelligent Copier runs in the system tray and can log all actions for later reference. Free for personal use.

you can try one of this Backup Tools, a lot of them have schedule and can also move files.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:54 AM by kimmchii »

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Thanks but there not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm not really looking for a backup program and the log monitor program is a bit overly complicated for my needs.

ed.poore

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 09:27 AM »
How about this quick program I threw together, added a few more features as well

http://ed.poore.googlepages.com/FileSorter.zip

It's a command-line program which takes the xml config file as the first argument and the list of directories to search through as the remaining arguments (must be at least one).

Will require .NET 2.0

Supports wildcards, regular expressions and extensions as can be seen by the sample file.  Paths can be relative or absolute.

Be warned there is no major error checking involved so it may crash with a badly configured xml file.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:22 AM »
ed.poore, just had a quick look and it seems great, going to give it a deeper look in a little bit.