topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The internet is a series of...  (Read 6480 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The internet is a series of...
« on: September 14, 2006, 11:50 AM »
...planets! :P

And these planets make up a huge universe. How about we make a planet for donationcoder.com too?

Planetary Aggregation

Ah, you don't know what on planet earth I am talking about. I am a fan of explaining with examples, so let me give you a few:

Planet Ubuntu
planet.ubuntu.pngThe internet is a series of...
about ubuntu, and the people behind it, sometimes very personal
Planet Python
planet-python.pngThe internet is a series of...
dealing with python, application frameworks, and surprisingly: ruby
Planet Debian
planet-debian.pngThe internet is a series of...
I don't track this one...

Basically Planet is a feed aggregator, it takes various feeds from various sites (mostly blogs) and merges them in one big list. You can think of it as kind of the old-buzz-speech "channel". One cannot directly post on a planet, the content is pulled from other sites.

By now y'all ought to have an idea of what Planet does.

planet-homepage.pngThe internet is a series of...

Proposal

I thought we (mouser) could set up a "Planet Donationcoder" where the blogs of the people behind and users of donationcoder.com are aggregated, very much like Planet Ubuntu. It could include technical posts, announcements of new donationware (most likely duplicated in the forum; other solution/idea?), and yes, personal stuff too.

Reasoning

But what if you don't want every single one of your post be planetized? AFAIK most popular blog systems let you assign keywords to posts, or you can put them in categories. Drupal uses the complicated term "taxonomy" and lets you have a seperate feed for every taxonomy term, in this case "USA". I am convinced Wordpress can do the same.

So I could simply use the keyword donationcoder.com or DC and Planet Donationcoder could aggregate every post I assign this keyword (tag) to. Naturally the post can be in more than one category, can have more than one keyword or tag. Still I think most blog systems also have this kind of flexibility.

Furthermore, if simplemachines supports it, even new forum posts could be aggregated; maybe to make the aforementioned announcements easier.

Planet Donationcoder would be very much like a constantly updated version of the introduce-yourself thread. At least that's one way to look at it.

Counter Arguments

People are already busy posting on the forum and might be unwilling or unable to set up their blog just to be planetized. Forum activity could decline because people are busy posting and commenting on each other's blogs.

This could be a trend, a mere hype (however: some planets exist for a quite some years already).

Technicalities

There is a short but complete introduction at linux.com and also a more long one with minute details at Linux Journal. Since Planet creates static pages server load would be minimal, except for maybe increased traffic.

planet-install-simple.pngThe internet is a series of...

planet-install-detail.pngThe internet is a series of...

Finally

Despite the counter arguments (of which I am sure will be much more) I think this is yet another way to build a community. When a site has rss feeds they can be aggregated enabling me to "monitor" all the donationcoder folks at one place. The marketing term is "bringing them together".

I want to hear your ideas, your criticism, and your question.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:40 PM by housetier »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The internet is a series of...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 01:08 PM »
This is the kind of thing I was talking about...at least one of my ideas I mentioned here.

I wouldn't be against this, but I have a Blogger blog and can't assign keywords to posts. I would have no way of keeping posts I wouldn't want to appear there off...unless I keep them all off.

I would much prefer a group blog, where we have multiple posters to the same blog. That way I can choose to publish a post to a few blogs at the same time or just to one, as I do currently.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 01:17 PM »
app I can set you up with one on my site if you want, it won't be as fancy as blogger.com though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:58 PM »
yeah i was gonna say this sounds like the idea discussed in app's thread above about aggregating member blogs..

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:14 AM »
I wonder if these two threads could be merged then.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 04:59 AM »
I could probably set up an additional Blogger blog and post stuff I wouldn't mind appearing on a blog/planet here, so that wouldn't be a real problem. I would just multi post a lot of stuff, like I already do now.