topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Monitor Display problem  (Read 4642 times)

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Monitor Display problem
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Hi,

would like some advice on a problem that i have...

recently, my monitor exhibit a weird behaviour. When i startup my computer, the monitor will turn on, but there will be no display on the screen (no boot messages). The computer will run its course until it reaches the log in page of win XP which there is still no display. Yesterday i discovered a trick whereby at the login page, i turn off the monitor and turn on again, and the display will come on again.

i have try this trick during the boot process, but the boot message still wont come on. And also, without display i cannot go into the BIOS menu to troubleshoot.

Any idea what is causing this? Thanks in advance...

(By the way, i am using a CRT monitor Samsung 551s)

Joe

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monitor Display problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 04:17 AM »
Hum... I guess the best solution would be for you to get some old monitor and connect it instead.
Since you get some image on the screen when you turn it off and back on, it should not be related to the rest of the computer (i guess).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17 AM »
that is pretty unusual..  the non-technical answer is that your monitor is probably dying.. try to find a spare to confirm its the monitor and then replace it - might not be any other valid alternative.

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:15 AM »
When you say it turns on and theres no display, are you sure the actual monitor is on and not just the on button lighting up (i.e if you wack up the brighness to full , do you get a grey screen and a couple of retrace lines).

If its just the on button coming on your Power Supply Circutry is crow-bar `ing , nothing you can do unless you know how to read a circuit diagram and comfortable with working with high voltages.

Id also check the VGA cable.

There is still a chance that it may not be your monitor, i know first hand of a group of ASUS motherboards that have a similar problem to yours, specially when starting up in in the BIOS 640x480 @ 60hz

Try re-seating your graphics card (that is of course if your not using onboard graphics), give the connections a dust to. It could be a sync problem (which would explain the windoes login appearing and not the bios.

Also make sure your havent got the refresh rate overclocked in windows, thats a sure way of killing it faster.

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:16 PM »
Thanks for all your advice.....i think too that my monitor is probably dying (do euthanasia by pulling the plug??? :P)

yesterday i did some more test...

1) first i off my monitor before starting up the com, then on it after a few seconds into the boot process, the monitor came on and i can see the last few bits of the boot message.

2) then i reset a few more times, but the display just wont on even at the windows logon screen.(the LED beside the ON switch on the monitor is green each time)

3) tried different combinations of pushing the ON monitor switch and reset button, nothing happen. Finally, tried the universal technique of getting electronics to work; i smack the monitor around (it works with my TV set !!!).

Basically, cannot get the display to come on anymore....just wish to see smoke coming out of the monitor to get some closure on this issue...

Thanks,
Joe