topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dana Hanna (Software Jedi) plans to write 30 programs in 30 days  (Read 7843 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I plan on writing 30 applications in 30 days. That's one per day... I haven't started yet, but keep watching here for more info.

The whole idea started as a dicussion on a plane ride. I was flying back from Houston with a fellow developer talking about web ideas... This idea hit me. I started jotting down application ideas on a paper napkin (which is now sitting next to my desk). I'll divulge some of those ideas in the future.

I BEG you to submit ideas for me. Don't tell me to write a friggin MMORPG or some crap like that. Serious ideas that are possible to do in one night. Write me at [email protected]! Once I get started I'll flush out the ideas I have on this napkin within a week or two.

from Download Squad
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dana Hanna (Software Jedi) plans to write 30 programs in 30 days
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48 PM »
even making the simplest programs seems like it would get a bit tedious half way through, but i give him credit for going for this.. let's see what he makes.  finally a challenger to Skrommels throne!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:03 PM »
I'll save credit for when it happens and I love the software. I suspect Skrom's throne is safe, he's the king of quickies. :)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:44 AM »
Lol, I'll believe it when I have valid proof. 30 programs in 30 days.. define program for starters.. any thing could happen..
I mean this is the internet, he might do 30 programs in 34 days and say he still done it in 30 days.. you can never tell if any thing is as real as some one is saying unless there is solid proof.. lol I know this sounds harsh but it's true. I mean, how do we know that it's all his code, not taken from any where, not borrowed from any where (unless he states that he is borrowing code, or what ever)..

Good luck to him, his entertainment will do good.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:49 AM »
Has anyone questioned why anyone would want to do this? I don't see the point. I'll take quality over quantity (nod to allen).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 01:36 AM »
it's a great excercise i think, so i'm all for it.
i do agree though that there are few programs that can get finished to a degree where they'll actually be useful in 24 hours.

its another 80-20 rule: you can whip up a program in 24 hours, but that's just the 20% part.  to make it actually useful you still need the other 80% of work to work out the kinks.

SoftwareJedi

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:39 AM »
Still going strong guys.  Have you been back to tell me what you think?  We have an chat room and all ideas are decided on the fly.  A screen broadcast, and occasionally a webcam is available to verify.
Most of the software is missing that extra mile you give it when it's fully polished, but you'd be hard pressed to tell me it's not useful for someone.  I'm actively using 5 of the apps already.
Hope you're enjoying!  Next app coded at 8pm eastern!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:00 AM »
Dana, I think you are doing a fantastic Job so far, and it's great to see you posting here.  Welcome  :Thmbsup:

The list at http://www.anappaday...downloads/index.html is actually *very* impressive.  I think you're actually one of the few people who could give our own Skrommel a run for his money.

Keep up the great work Dana and I hope you'll stop by here again. Hey we have an irc chat channel on efnet - i missed any mention of channel/network for your irc chat thing.. where is it?

ps. Hey folks, Dana is asking for donations to support his freeware 30 day / 30 program experiment. Sure seems like it's a worthy thing to me so let's send him some of our credits!  A few from me coming your way now, hope others will join me.