ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

Suggest Questions for our interview w/ Mark Forster (Do It Tomorrow Author)

<< < (9/10) > >>

mouser:
I can spend hours on a (programming) problem and make very little progress. Maybe that's how programming works sometimes,
--- End quote ---
It definitely is.. i always find that there are some parts of code that you can make huge progress on very quickly, but inevitably you will hit areas that require long debugging sessions just to fix problems.  i don't think there is going to be a magic bullet for this.  On the other hand, i've seen mainly new programmers give up when they hit this point, and pushing past it is an important part of becoming a real coder.

Tips on estimating the time needed for a programming project.
--- End quote ---
If you ever find a solution to this you might become a hero in the software world.. i've never known a programmer including myself who can accurately estimate project times, except to stop yourself right after you are about to give out your estimate, and multiply by 4 or 10. i wish that was a joke   :'(

Arjen:
On the other hand, i've seen mainly new programmers give up when they hit this point, and pushing past it is an important part of becoming a real coder.
-mouser (September 25, 2006, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree, but it's important how you push past that point: knowing when to stop a certain approach and start looking for alternatives, knowing when to ask for help, knowing when to step back and get a good night's sleep. :-) It's easy to get all caught up in it until you realize hours have passed.

i've never known a programmer including myself who can accurately estimate project times, except to stop yourself right after you are about to give out your estimate, and multiply by 4 or 10. i wish that was a joke   :'(
--- End quote ---
You are right, I'm probably asking the impossible. :-)

Lilly:
Did I miss the interview, or has it been posted somewhere?

mouser:
it's not up yet - will be up in october.

Lilly:
it's not up yet - will be up in october.
-mouser (September 28, 2006, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... Thank you muchly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version