ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Data recovery software suggestions?

<< < (9/11) > >>

Darwin:
Should have trialled Restorer 2000 or RecoverMyFiles... both are quite pricey shareware but offer previews of the files recovered and display the recovered files with their original filename! Of course, if either of these trials had found your file, you'd have been out the purchase price to actually recover it! RecoverMyFiles is $69 for a lifetime licence and Restorer2000 $49 with free updates to the version you buy... My usage of them proceeds this way - try RecoverMyFiles first, proceed to Restorer2000 if RMF doesn't find what I'm looking for. This actually happens only rarely. I should probably do this the other way around as Restorer2000 is MUCH quicker in searching for and displaying deleted content. However, RFM has a slightly more intuitive interface IMHO!
-Darwin (June 05, 2008, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

And Darwin sets a new standard for breathlessness... look at all of those exclamation marks! Doh! I did it again....  :-[

Armando:
What happens when a file is accidentally overwritten (replaced) by a file with the same name? Is it actually physically over written, or is it still there somewhere on the hard drive (hence possible to recover)?

f0dder:
What happens when a file is accidentally overwritten (replaced) by a file with the same name? Is it actually physically over written, or is it still there somewhere on the hard drive (hence possible to recover)?
-Armando (June 05, 2008, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on the filesystem. Traditionally, the area that's overwritten is re-used directly, because that's the most efficient thing to do. The old data is then gone (OK, so it's said that there's magnetic residue etc., but I've never been able to tell if that's just superstition based on how old MFM drives worked, or if it's possible to (ab)use this for modern drives... but normal people don't have access to the necessary gear, anyway).

There's probably at least one "versioning filesystem" out there, but I don't know of any off top of my head, and I would assume it'd have a nasty hit wrt. performance and fragmentation.

Lashiec:
There's probably at least one "versioning filesystem" out there, but I don't know of any off top of my head, and I would assume it'd have a nasty hit wrt. performance and fragmentation.
-f0dder (June 05, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

ZFS?

f0dder:
-f0dder (June 05, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
ZFS?
-Lashiec (June 05, 2008, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Humm, ZFS uses copy-on-write journalling, but does it do revisions? I know it has, probably tied to it's COW journalling :), some relatively inexpensive snapshot, stuff, but I'm not sure just how it works (ie., if it's something you could turn on globally, or you need to manually "take a snapshot" of a file).

Anyhow, it's COW journalling does mean you could probably track down old file contents, which is the most important point. Think about the implications wrt. secure file wiping? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version