ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Data recovery software suggestions?

(1/11) > >>

Cloq:
Recently I was in need of a good file recovery program and after doing a general google search, found a couple choice programs. I would welcome input from fellow Cody members (is that proper?), on what they have used and liked or disliked.

Active@ File Recovery
www.file-recovery.net/

File Rescue Plus
www.sunbelt-software.com/filerescueplus.cfm

Type away! ;)

mwb1100:
I used Restorer 2000 to recover files from a failing drive that Windows would no longer deal with. 

It's the old story of inadequate backups and an important school project due soon - suddenly Windows won't boot and even after attaching the drive to a working computer, Windows would not read any files off of it.  I was looking into paying *big* bucks (I mean like "sell the car to get the money" bucks) to a data recovery outfit when I decided to try the Restorer 2000 software, whose website had a decidedly 'snake-oil' feel to it, so my expectations were pretty low.  But they had a trial version that would make an image of the failing drive which would let you explore the directory tree that it could recover and actually recover small files.

The trial worked well enough that I paid the $80 bucks (or thereabout), and sure enough I was able to recover all the important files I needed - this was easily the best $80 I've ever spent on software.  Oh, and I have a couple of backup schemes in place now...

Now, my situation was not recovering deleted files or unformatting a drive which may well have very different requirements, but I am more than impressed with how it handled getting files off the failing drive.

http://www.restorer2000.com/   :up:

mouser:
GetDataBack has a very good reputation:
http://www.runtime.org/

kimmchii:
Data Recovery Tools Freeware

Data Recovery Tools Shareware

FreeUndelete

my fav: O&O UnErase

Cloq:
Thank you for the suggestions. I will give those a shot.

A common trend in recovery software programs seems to be that they like to "specialize" in what they recover. I have seen quite a few programs that focus on memory card, image, word and video recovery.

I was playing with the trial version of EasyRecovery Professional and was very impressed in its layout, recovery options, methods and media formats. Then I looked at the price, about fell off my chair. Talk about sticker shock! :o :'(

I prefer supporting shareware programs and am willing to keep trying to find the perfect shareware data recovery program.  :)

Light weight, truely portable, shareware, lifetime upgrades (or even a small annual fee would ok assuming the program is updated and support is there when it is needed), supports typical media (floppies, HD's flash, raid cdrws,dvdrws), all FAT forms, NTFS,unformatted,raw (any other would be a bonus), decent browsing and none of that online activation junk. I know there is a few other things, but right now that is just off the top of my head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version