topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Prediction: Google will Become Stumbleupon  (Read 6231 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Prediction: Google will Become Stumbleupon
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:26 AM »
I have some advice to the stumbleupon people: be scared (or make yourself a nice looking buyout target).

Niall Kennedy recently blogged about a google gadget that uses your search history to recommend other searches it thinks you might like. (http://www.niallkenn...ogle-personal-2.html).

I think we are seeing the first ripples of the plan google has for tracking your entire search history.

For those who don't know, StumbleUpon is a very cool service/toolbar which lets users rate sites they like or dislike, and then randomly send you to sites it thinks you will like based on similar tastes among users.  It's  very cool thing (www.stumbleupon.com).  It is in some ways similar to digg and others in that it tries to bring you sites it thinks you will like based on other people's opinions, thought the mechanisms are quite different.

It seems to me that google is going to make a real play for this market, by doing massive clustering of user searches in an attempt to provide stumbleupon like suggestions.  It's a natural move that will let them get advertising money not just when users initiate a search on their own but by actively SUGGESTING pages they should visit, and making ad money from those page visits.

I'm not saying whether this is a good or bad thing, it will depend a lot on what the google implementation looks like.  I just think if you put the puzzle pieces together:
  • Tracking Search History
  • Pushing Google Toolbar
  • Google Desktop Sidebar

And you combine that with the datamining algorithmic "fun" factor involved in doing clustering of user page ratings, it's just not conceivable to me that google isn't going to want to own this market..  Just remember where you heard it first.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:32 AM by mouser »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Prediction: Google will Become Stumbleupon
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:02 AM »
I think we are seeing the first ripples of the plan google has for tracking your entire search history.

I don't know how effective it really is but I recently signed up for Lost in the Crowd to try and regain some anonymity online. Thought it was relevant to mention here :) .

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:31 AM »
How, if at all, is SU generating revenue?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:35 AM »
Each time you click the Stumble button on SU it serves you up a page it think you will like based on what it has learned about your preferences.

BUT occasionally it serves you up an advertising-paid sponsored page.  There is supposed to be a subtle indication of such pages but i never spot it. 

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Maybe my adblock extensions blocks the page: whenever I think "why didn't it load the next page?" and try again, it was actually adblock not letting me load the page at all...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 10:12 AM »
I wanted to bump this because i want people to give me credit for predicting it when it happens.  ;)

I predict by 2008 google will have bought out stumbleupon or made a play to take over it's marketshare.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:29 PM by mouser »

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 02:55 AM »
I really really hope that won't happen, but I fear too! SU is great as it is and I truly hope it remains that way forever  :(
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.