ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

mail2web: any comments?

(1/2) > >>

rjbull:
mail2web is a site where you enter your email address and password, and it will go to your POP3 (and I think IMAP) server, retrieve your mail, and allow you to display and answer it with a Web interface.  Apparently it has a good reputation.  Appears to be supported by advertising, though surprisingly unintrusive; much less "busy" an interface than Yahoo! Mail.  No registration required for basic use.  Looks ideal for travellers and users of multiple computers. 

Please, does anyone have any experience of mail2web and/or comments to share?

Thanks...

Perry Mowbray:
Wow!! It's got a few bells and whistles!

Didn't have any problems with my normal email accounts (work email was an issue though).

Seems like the perfect solution for multiple email accounts/computers/IMs as you can have them all on one page?

It's nice that the emails stay on the origina server too (as that would deal with a lot of privacy concerns).

I may just have to try it out...

- Perry

allen:
I haven't used it recently, but I did use it quite a bit several years ago.  My one concern was always the fact that giving my login information to someone else -- a general paranoia.  They've been around for a long time, though -- so it's not some fly-by-night password grabber.

Looks like they've added quite a bit since I last used them.

Eóin:
My one concern was always the fact that giving my login information to someone else -- a general paranoia.-allen (September 11, 2006, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've always felt the same way but there are times where such a service is invaluable. Equally useful I also find myself in need of net2ftp when behind my college's proxy which won't allow ftp traffic :mad: .

rjbull:
My one concern was always the fact that giving my login information to someone else
-allen (September 11, 2006, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was concerned about that too.  I see they say that they don't keep passwords, but they could presumably get hacked.

-- a general paranoia.  They've been around for a long time, though -- so it's not some fly-by-night password grabber.

--- End quote ---

Their longevity is certainly a good sign, and it looks like their more advanced accounts are much like having Outlook on the Web.

But, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean "they" aren't out to get you...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version