ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mobysaurus

LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007

<< < (11/16) > >>

Cavalcader:
Definitely, quite a list!

lesbian..
penis..
prostitute..
--- End quote ---
are these "profane" words?-tomos (November 13, 2006, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Took me a minute to figure it out -- but the color code tells the story. Blue words listed have candidates for the filter but are not themselves in question.

Wordzilla:
Cavalcader: Words in blue are headwords in the existing Moby database, on which you can click to see more synonyms, while red words are just synonyms.  ;)  Sorry I didn't make this clear.

Tomos: Good point! I'll try to just retain words that are "unquestionably profane" to serve as the default list.

I'd like to allow users to freely & easily edit this profane words list after installation based on the default one.
If it's been edited by the user, it won't get replaced next time he upgrades, unless he "restores default".  :)

tomos:
Tomos: Good point! I'll try to just retain words that are "unquestionably profane" to serve as the default list.-Mobysaurus
--- End quote ---
thanks for not taking offence Mobysaurus,
I was thinking after i posted I was maybe being a bit too smart for me own good  :)

Cavalcader:
Cavalcader: Words in blue are headwords in the existing Moby database, on which you can click to see more synonyms, while red words are just synonyms.  ;)  Sorry I didn't make this clear.-Mobysaurus (November 13, 2006, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
No problem -- I see it now after browsing the pages a bit.  :)

I'd like to allow users to freely & easily edit this profane words list after installation based on the default one.
If it's been edited by the user, it won't get replaced next time he upgrades, unless he "restores default".  :)

--- End quote ---
That's a great idea -- the profanity category definitely varies from person to person, and culturally as well.

tomos:
as an aside - hopefully not too off topic  :)
6. How Does a Word Become a Curse Word?

Our parents are totally going to ground us for talking about this, but if you must know, a "curse" was originally just a bad type of prayer. Thus, the first curse word was likely "damn," as in asking God to damn someone to Hell, which was considered taboo because of the religious power it wielded.

Condemning people to an eternity of suffering isn’t something to let everyone just go around doing on a daily basis, so the government stepped in, leading to the first censorship laws. Among the first victims was William Shakespeare, whose works were considered quite racy for their time, and not just because he sent his fair share of characters to Hades. The Bard’s plays were littered with sexual innuendo, and eventually, these types of references became swear words as well.

Depending on what the sexual mores of the current generation were, formerly innocuous words could suddenly become unfit for polite company. The Victorians, for instance, instituted the practice of referring to the thigh meat on a chicken as "dark meat" because saying the word "leg" or "thigh" at dinner could be enough to give your hostess a case of the vapors.

And in the 17th century, the "c-word" that formerly referred to a certain barnyard fowl took on another, er, more inappropriate meaning, leading to the invention of words like "rooster" and "weathervane" to keep the newly dirty word from crossing genteel lips.

Sometimes these avoidance tactics went a little too far, though. Case in point: the 1952-53 season of "I Love Lucy," during which, despite the star’s stomach being about the size of the Superdome, censors prevented the show’s writers from even once mentioning the word "pregnant."

See also: Maledicta Journal, a scholarly journal dedicated to bad, bad words, published by Reinhold Aman [wiki] (a colorful character himself!).
--- End quote ---
via:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6160.0;topicseen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version