topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Desktop streamming review ?  (Read 16539 times)

PauloAndrade

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Desktop streamming review ?
« on: September 10, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if here is the right place to suggest but...

One interesting review could be about desktop streamming software. I don't know if this is the right term. The idea is a review about software that can be used by teachers to display their desktop to student's in a network or by web.

Considering a network, the best one that I know is netop. It's quite powerfull but expensive.

I also tried myivo (www.myivo.com) for the webcast part.

Best Regards,

Paulo Andrade

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Desktop streamming review ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:40 PM »
paulo, we have been trying to organize a review of remote control apps (i guess the apps you are talking about is a kind of subcategory of this with a slightly different focus).  there are several very good contenders and it will make for a great review.  we are still looking for someone to do the review though..

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:10 AM »
TightVNC can be set up so that they can use the browser as a viewer. You don't have to allow mouse & keyboard control to the students either. That can be disabled.

It would only have to be installed on your pc, not the students' pcs.

And the price is nice...free and open source.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:37 AM »
you know i've never even considered JUST using this to broadcast desktop without allowing control but it's a very nice idea.

PauloAndrade

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:27 AM »
paulo, we have been trying to organize a review of remote control apps (i guess the apps you are talking about is a kind of subcategory of this with a slightly different focus).  there are several very good contenders and it will make for a great review.  we are still looking for someone to do the review though..

Hi Mouser,

As soon as I have some time I can post here a review for NetOp. I read the messages about remote control software but software for teaching is something more complicated. With NetOP I can see small in small views (like picture in picture) all the student's pcs. I can record what a student is doing or record something to show to all of the student's. I can use a microphone and talk to individual student's or to all of then. NetOp also have something like a markup tool that I can use to draw on the screen to help a particular explanation....

See, the focus is more like help in the learning process. I even heard about the possibility of create multiple choice questions that the student's can answer on-line, quitte cool :).

PauloAndrade

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:30 AM »
TightVNC can be set up so that they can use the browser as a viewer. You don't have to allow mouse & keyboard control to the students either. That can be disabled.

It would only have to be installed on your pc, not the students' pcs.

And the price is nice...free and open source.  ;)

Funny, I use TightVNC to remote control my tablet PC for two years and never thought that it could be used to show what I am doing in a webpage :) !!! I will download a new version and try it out.

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 09:08 AM »
As far as i can comprehend you just want to broadcast the desktop .

Windows Media Encoder can also do this, it`ll capture the desktop and create a media stream (of course it`ll be a WMV stream) to either push to a distribution sever, or be pulled from a remote viewer, or both. As it`s a encoder it can archive the live stream. The push method (using a distribution server) would work well if you had to broadcast to people on the LAN as well as more remote viewers.

Windows Media Encoder is also free.

Course this would fall flat on its face if the teachers using a non windows desktop.

Dr-Leech

• Joined in 2006
  • Psychedelic Coder
    • View Profile
    • site
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 01:50 AM »
That would be nice, a review on desktop sharing tools.

In my company we use that so much, bc distances between workers. Also to show pre-releases to clients in other countries, or give a more detailed perspective on how the things are going.

But the problem of mostly of those services is the need of a standalone client, that mostly of them are only for specific platforms (specially Windows). There are some ones in java that can run from the browser too (like gatherplace.net, the one we're using now). This is ok, those works but so buggy.

We've researched about possibilities and just found that one as the best candidate for compatibility.

Ok, VNC is great. But we can't force our clients to install software in their fully-spyware computers, We need to give them extra support, and it becomes a headache.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Just saw this thread... I use a program called Synchroneyes on my computer lab at an elementary school.  It has a lot of nice features, and when I get a chance I'll do a mini-review of it.

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Synchronoeyes is used at the University of Maryland too in their teaching theathre rooms. Rooms that are basically full of computers. It was designed before laptops became mainstream, the idea was that every room eventually would have built in computers for students.

Anyway, I have a CyberPsychology course with the professor I work with. And from the teacher's view you can also see what all your students are doing (lol). Pretty easy to disable though.. I was kinda dissapointed with it. 

Dr-Leech

• Joined in 2006
  • Psychedelic Coder
    • View Profile
    • site
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00 AM »
We're using Yugma since few months and it works like a charm.

It's really nice and faster, we use it between countries and not problem at all. Also we use it to show our clients the progress with their works because you don't need to install anything, just open a browser Java applet.
Recommended.