ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What does enable/disable updating in Locate32 actually do?

(1/2) > >>

treefrog:
Locate32 indexes the files on a PC.

In the options pane there are loads of choices.

One which flummoxes me is the Enable Updating/Disable Updating.

Can anyone explain this.  I am hoping it will get rid of entries in the results list (with brown icons) for files I have moved or deleted.

Thank you.

brotherS:
Hi and welcome to the site!

Maybe you didn't fully grasp the concept of Locate? Since it's so blazing fast because it accesses databases of your files those databases need to be updated. Check the screenshot of the "Auto Update" tab in https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1385.0 (last screenshot in my posting). If you didn't add any scheduled updates there, just do that.

Enjoy! :)

treefrog:
Hi and welcome to the site!

Maybe you didn't fully grasp the concept of Locate? Since it's so blazing fast because it accesses databases of your files those databases need to be updated. Check the screenshot of the "Auto Update" tab in https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1385.0 (last screenshot in my posting). If you didn't add any scheduled updates there, just do that.
-brotherS (September 10, 2006, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hello brotherS.

Thank you for the reply.  I didn't misunderstand how Locate32 works but maybe I didn't make it clear enough (I just said it indexes the files on a PC).

However I am not referring to updating Locate's indexes by using scans.

Instead, I am referring to the settings which are under UPDATE RESULTS.  I can either:
(a)  disable updating (file info from database)
(b)  enable updating (info corresponds files) 

If I choose (b) then I can select from:

(i) do not track file system changes
(ii) track file system changes
(iii) track file system changes (old method).

--------

It is these settings which confuse me.  I have no idea what they are trying to do or how they do it!

Can you or anyone else help me out.

As I said, I half-hope they can reduce the number of "old/moved" hits which Locate32 comes across as I have no need to see those at all!

Thanks for any help.

brotherS:
Oh, I see. The main purpose of disabling updating for a database is if you would like Locate to search the database of a disconnected drive, for example a USB backup HD. That way you can search for its contents while it's not connected.

If Locate is updating its regular databases for all local files every few hours you should only rarely see "old/moved" files as results.

treefrog:
Oh, I see. The main purpose of disabling updating for a database is if you would like Locate to search the database of a disconnected drive, for example a USB backup HD. That way you can search for its contents while it's not connected.

If Locate is updating its regular databases for all local files every few hours you should only rarely see "old/moved" files as results.

-brotherS (September 12, 2006, 04:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

You still misunderstand me!

What am I saying wrong?
Or is this a wind up?   :D

I really can not exlain it more clearly than I have done.

I am not really referring to the database selection.  No offense but could I trouble you, good sir, to check back and see exactly what part of Explore32 I am referring to.

Thanks!
Treefroggy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version