topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: One or two click screenshot emailer  (Read 9351 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: One or two click screenshot emailer
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:44 PM »
This may be a little bigger than a snack, but it is something I have been thinking would be cool and havent found on the internet at large.  I am always fielding support calls from friends and family members where they tell me they saw this thing, or got this vaguely described message box.  Would be super cool if I could send them a tiny program to install, that ideally has my email address preconfigured or other wise on first run it would ask for the destination email address, and then it would sit in the tray.  They could hit a hotkey to send the desktop or active screen to me, or even use the icon in the tray. Maybe it would hook the system menu and they could select "Email Screenshot" from the little box at the top left corner of the window.  Just throwing out some ideas here.  It would either include a little built in SMTP server, or use the MAPI configured client, or even ask the person what outgoing mail server to use (on first run), then when a shot is to be mailed, it would grab the screen, convert to say PNG, then zip it and email it automatically to the configured email address (me).  So in practice the person would only have to hit a hotkey and it would shoot the screen off to me, maybe a single dialog box asking permission to prevent accidental shots sent.  Also, perhaps a governer that will allow it to only send out say 2 screenshots per minute or something, to prevent someone playing an unfunny joke.  Would be nice if some of these options were configurable before sending to the recipient.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: One or two click screenshot emailer
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:50 PM »
i think this probably exists in some form, and i think it's a very good idea.

even though screenshot captor is a bit of overkill for this request, i do plan on adding something like this to screenshot captor to make it much easier to do repeat emails of screenshots to people.

when i do add this, you've convinced me i should think of making a standalone tray based tool to do exactly what you say, allowing for someone to pre-configure their email address for a mini little program that does what you say.

looking forward to hearing what other programs exist for this, i know there are some.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:54 PM »
gadwin has this option to send via email.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:07 PM »
SnagIt has this facility. You can set up a profile with preconfigured settings for outputting to an email address as well as the kind of input etc. required. You can even send someone the profile to load into SnagIt.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:10 PM »
You can even send someone the profile to load into SnagIt
clever.

like i said i will be adding email destination stuff to sc, but i still think there is an advantage to a small lightweight util you could send someone preconfigured with your email which was totally mistakeproof.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Those are ideas, but I am hoping for something much smaller and more encapsulated in purpose.  Basically, not a screen capture program at all.  A little, very small footprint program specifically for emailing a screen cap to a specific address, wouldnt even need the ability to save the capture to the local system.  More of a support tool than a screen capture application.  Also one with super minimal configuration so you could send it to your grandmother in Nebraska and she could easilly get it going.  Why Nebraska?  No idea, just the first thing that popped into my mind.

Oh and your standalone idea sounds awesome Mouser, you make amazing stuff so I am sure you would knock it out of the park!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Those are ideas, but I am hoping for something much smaller and more encapsulated in purpose.  Basically, not a screen capture program at all.  A little, very small footprint program specifically for emailing a screen cap to a specific address, wouldnt even need the ability to save the capture to the local system.  More of a support tool than a screen capture application.  Also one with super minimal configuration so you could send it to your grandmother in Nebraska and she could easilly get it going.  Why Nebraska?  No idea, just the first thing that popped into my mind.

;) Sounds like you are looking for an AHK script

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Hmm, another thing just occured to me.  Would be nice if you could specify more than 1 address and a friendly name along with it, so as an example I can install it on my wife's grandmothers machine and configure it with mine and my wifes email addresses along with "Michael" and "Leah" so when she hit the hotkey it would pop up a box showing those two names, she just selects the one she wants to send it to and away it goes.  If only one is configured, it would just send it right to that address instead of showing the box.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:21 PM »
tekzel this is exactly my plan.
a user will be able to configure quick email profiles so that you can very easily and clearly send a screenshot to a friend who is in your configured lst.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 08:27 PM »
We are on the same wavelength Mouser, scarrrry!! haha

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:14 AM »
there's already a similar request here. this feature can't be implemented soon enough. in the meantime, this is how i do it with some help from irfanview.

this program has a plugin called "Send by Email" which allows IrfanView to send images as emails. it saves info about the sender, recipients, smtp server & also maintains a mini address-book.. all this in an INI file, so it is portable.

here's the config part..
IV_SendMail_001.png
Access the function via menu

IV_SendMail_002.png
Fill in the relevant details

IV_SendMail_003.png
Settings

IV_SendMail_004.png
Address Book
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:24 AM by lanux128 »