ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

keeping/saving cloned files

<< < (6/8) > >>

tomos:
Darwin-
did you ever have another go?

Darwin:
Hi Tomos,

No, I never did try it again. I'll do it now and report back...

Darwin:
So far so good... So far I've managed to create a couple of hard links. I'll keep playing with it.
That's pretty cool - I've made a couple of hard links and moved the files to different drives, and the hard links still work! Well, I guess that's what they're supposed to do, but I'm still impressed  8)

Armando:
Just bumped on that thread again. Thought maybe I could add my little experience. IMO ntfs links' hard links : a bit unreliable.

I used it for a while (in the past), but had to give up on it -- except for a couple of softlinked folders i'm still keeping (Cthorpe discussed the idea behind doing that at some point in another thread).

I don't know about Directory Opus with NTFS Links (Tomos, Darwin ?), but even with explorer, hard links didn't seem to work with all kinds of files. How can that be?

e.g. : no problem with txt or pdf files, but *.doc were another story. Weird, I had no idea why -- could be a certain character related problem?? I didn't explore all possibilities at the time. Life is too short?

mwang:
Same experience here. I believe it has something to do with how an application modify a file. Word, e.g., create a temp file and rename it to the original after renaming the original to a wbk, hence breaking the hardlink.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version