ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

keeping/saving cloned files

(1/8) > >>

tomos:
Sounds like some type of genetic zoo  ;D

does anyone know if theres a way to keep cloned copies of a file (in Dopus you can have a virtual copy* but i want a hard copy)

Say I could clone a file & place it in two different folders, then if i work on & save a file from one folder I want it to update automatically** in the other. (They would be on the same drive)

Don't know will the following help or hinder your understanding, but sure here goes:

I'm working on drawings that I get in mixed batches (they are of archaeological sites in different counties) which eventually have to be filed according to what county they're from.

I work on them in the "Batch" folder (cause thats how they will initially have to be delivered)
but
I keep loosing track of whether I have the most recent version of the file in the "Final" folder (which is by county name).

*As i say I'm aware this can be done with virtual folders but for a couple of reasons cloned copies would be better for me. (mainly my backup procedure)

**Backup software wouldnt really be feasible for this - I'd have a different path for each file

Also I could just look at changing "the [filing] system" (from within!)

mouser:
i think there exist programs for this, i'm looking forward to hearing which programs people recommend.

housetier:
The filesystem NTFS does support this feature (unix guys will know this as hard link as opposed to symlink). But the operating system on top of NTFS doesn't offer easy access to this feature. There are, however, tools which will let you make more use of NTFS.

Sadly, I do not know any such tool by name :( I only know they exist.

If you don't use NTFS but FAT32 you will need something different, some watch-and-clone-changes daemon or so. I am positive there are free tools for this.

jgpaiva:
The filesystem NTFS does support this feature (unix guys will know this as hard link as opposed to symlink). But the operating system on top of NTFS doesn't offer easy access to this feature. There are, however, tools which will let you make more use of NTFS.

Sadly, I do not know any such tool by name :( I only know they exist.

If you don't use NTFS but FAT32 you will need something different, some watch-and-clone-changes daemon or so. I am positive there are free tools for this.
-housetier (September 08, 2006, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is the best alternative, but NOTICE THAT THIS METHOD DOESN'T CREATE 2 DIFFERENT FILES!
So, it can't be used for backup.
It only creates 2 references for the same file.
Now.. Here's the solution (if your filesystem is ntfs): http://www.topshareware.com/Alax.Info-NTFS-Links-download-41791.htm
It looks like the author's site (the first 2 results on the google search) is down.

mouser:
there are a few good directory-watching tools that should do what you want and create versioned or non-versioned backups where you want.  i dont know the names off hand but i know they exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version