ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

No option to underline misspelled words in UltraEdit?

(1/1)

mouser:
i don't know why i never wanted to do this before -
but you can imagine my surprise when i was editing a text file and found that i couldn't find a way to have UE do red underlining of  misspelled words in a text file.

that really sucks - i'm very much missing this feature :(

Scott:
That would be a cool feature.  Don't hold your breath, though.  It looks to me like IDM (the authors of UltraEdit) have done what Poco Systems did--they're overextending themselves and devoting all their time on a big, new project, while the "good enough" but longstanding bread-winner product gets ignored.

I'm still waiting for them to make the damned toolbars lockable.  Every time I accidentally displace my tab bar, I want to uninstall the thing.

mouser:
scott i think you nailed it exactly.

Mr.B:
you can imagine my surprise when i was editing a text file and found that i couldn't find a way to have UE do red underlining of misspelled words in a text file.

that really sucks - i'm very much missing this feature
--- End quote ---

That would be a cool feature.  Don't hold your breath, though.
--- End quote ---

No need to hold your breath.  Ultra-Edit 13 is here with: spellcheck-while-you-type capability, red underscored misspellings, improved regex support in find/replace, improved hex mode that reflects true unicode encodings (prior versions of UE displayed UTF-8 files as UTF-16 in hex mode which was really confusing...Hex mode showed a UTF-16 BOM and two-byte characters when the actual file on the hard disk had a UTF-8 BOM and single-byte characters).

mouser:
yep -- this was a wonderful fix.
ps. i cant help but think our review, which IDM read with care, helped inspire them to add this feature that i complained about it missing  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version