topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for some helpers with an easy fun project for DonationCoder.com  (Read 7825 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'd like to put together a screensaver with hundreds of pictures from computer history.

so, pictures of old computers, old famous software boxes or advertisements, etc.
anything the will make you smile from the history of computing.

I'm not just talking about really old stuff, it can be semi-recent computers too, but mainly should focus on fun stuff from the past.

So, i need some volunteers to help by sending me pictures.
I'm looking for a few volunteers who are willing to go find lots of pictures (as opposed to 100 people sending me 1 each, since that never works).  pictures of, or from, old computer magazines would be nice too.

Please keep track of some info about the website or source you got the picture from, so we can credit them (and credit you).

The final screensaver/wallpaper utility with all the pictures submitted will be made available for all to download of course.

mail to: [email protected]

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe keep us posted on what pics you already got. I'd like to send a pic of the Timex-Sinclair 1000. Possibly the cheapest functional (barely...) personal computer ever made. (I got one when I was 12 when they went on sale for 10 bucks around christmas time.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i thought maybe we could use this thread to post pictures to the first computer(s) we ever had/used.

here was the first computer we had (my father bought it, thanks pop), the Cromemco Z-2d:

http://users.pandora...lust/cromemcozd2.htm

CPU Z80 2 or 4MHZ
ROM 1K monitor
OS CP/M
RAM 64K
21 S-100 slots
8 and 18V integrated power supply
2 Floppy Drives
3 S100-bus cards

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i've got a toaster that looks like that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah is your toaster the size of a case of beer and weight 100 pounds?

REDONDOS

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am a little younger and I live in South America, so my first computer back in 87 (roughly, can't remember the exact year) was a Commodore 64, connected to TV set. I didn't have a diskette drive, so I had a bunch of cassette tapes filled with games and in the back, the names of the games with their respective "time" for finding them with the tape player's counter. I had lots of fun with this thing until I got my first PC in '91. I remember a game called Henry's House which I loved!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My first computer was not an Apple Macintosh like I wanted (thank Buddha I never got it), but a 286 PC with 512k of RAM and a 20Mb HD. The extra RAM cost me a fortune. That was in 1985 and along with a dot matrix printer, I had more fun than I'd ever had in my life. I don't have a picture, but it looks a lot like the tower I have today, only half again as big. Same color, though! Oh, and the damn thing cost me $4400, can you believe THAT?!

Nutty

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know, rather than duplicate the effort already made, the image packs for the MESS emulator would be a good place to start <http://tkmame.retrogames.com/messimages/>.  All kinds of pictures of oldie but goodie PCs and consoles.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
excellent, thanks, i'll check it out.