ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK TWO+THREE ASSIGNMENT

<< < (8/12) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I really like Next Tasks and Due Dates on my tasks that are floating around my pool.

I'm another ToDoList user (read a great review here you beat me to it urlwolf!), and this is the way I've set mine up (which  travels around on my USB Drive):

Next Tasks:

* As SubTask
* Priority 10 [highest]
* Become filterable as: Show Incomplete Tasks + Above Priority #10
The nice thing about that is that I can have my Next Task for a "Someday Project" will still display when filtering, but it shows as a SubTask of the Someday Project [Priority 0].

Waiting for:

* Allocated To
* Allocated By (when not me)
Tasks that are allocated can be filtered as well.

Maybe Tasks/Projects:

* Priority:=0
ToDoList only filters on priorities above #, so low priorities are not filterable by themselves.

Use "Due Date" as the calendar for keeping track of your appointments and commitments: ability to sort by date and show tasks due by day, week or month.

Projects can be formed in the TreeView as nodes and childnodes.

I'm using Categories to group Projects/tasks together  ;): For example "GOE" is a Category at the moment!

The only other thing is some paper and a pen when TDL is not available  :)

- Perry

app103:

the thing i'd like to make a point of that really hasn't been mentioned anywhere is the notion/concept of BOREDOM. up until recently - a few days before the beginning of this experiment - i would have been BORED quite often. i used to find this disturbing and very annoying as i knew there were many things i could be getting on with - all my lists said so.

-nudone (September 09, 2006, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I was a child, I once mentioned in my grandmother's* presence, that I was bored. It was the last time I ever said that, for a very long time.

My grandmother smacked me and told me to never say that again. She said if you are bored, chances are you are boring. Saying or thinking  "I am bored" is the same as saying "I am boring".

Interesting people don't get bored. They have plenty of interests to keep them busy.

Now that I am older, I can see her wisdom...and I agree with her 100%. I know if I am feeling bored, I am doing something seriously wrong with my time.

And for those rare occasions that I do feel bored, I would never admit to it now.  :-[

*My grandmother was one of the most interesting people I have ever known, who had multiple careers over the course of her life...from farmer to investigative journalist (back when it was a taboo career for a woman) to school teacher.

nudone:
app, i have to take issue with your comment on being bored. as i mentioned earlier - the concept of boredom doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere by self-motivation gurus - not very surprising i suppose.

i've steered clear of making the glib "if you say you're bored then it is you that is boring" remark in the past as that is a disservice to the nature of boredom - perhaps it is appropriate to say to a child, it certainly had the desired effect with you, but i think 'adult' boredom is more serious an issue - from personal experience i would say that it is connected with depression.

i said earlier that i had a whole list of things i could have been doing when i felt bored - i have often tried to sound profound when talking with friends about boredom by saying that you can only feel bored if you have something to do - you are just refusing to do it. i've always had something to do in life, i've always had more interests than i know what to do with - really, who hasn't?

thankfully i haven't been bored for years - well, except during my last job - that's why i quit. i'm sure i'm a very boring person to some people but i don't think that is why i was bored - there were a few things i could have done to relieve the boredom whilst i was at work - like having a lobotomy or shouting "fire, fire" but other than that i don't know what i could do. i was trapped in a place where i had to work a certain mundane way, do certain tedious things - i felt like a robot - it depressed me - i became BORED.

self inflicted boredom, like the mardy child, that wants others to entertain it is something entirely different to an adult that feels incapable of finding motivation.

mouser:
Good points nudone, i think this is a case where there are really 2 totally difference concepts that just happen to have the same word assigned to them:

Boredom(1) - when you can't think of anything to do and want someone to suggest a good idea for you.
Boredom(2) - when you are forced to do some work/job which your brain fights against because it's not being stimulated and nourished.

Perry Mowbray:
you can only feel bored if you have something to do-nudone (September 11, 2006, 01:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a really interesting observation. My wife has identified something that happens to her. She's a normal over-busy woman who is generally storing away things to do when she's got some time. The probelm occurs when the time arrives and she chokes on it. She'll get to the end of the day and say "I'm sure there were things I wanted to do?"

Not that she's bored (but is is very similar); it's an interesting parallel to your comment (BTW: I'm hoping this GTD will rub off  ;) )

- Perry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version