ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

houseforge recommendation September 2006

(1/2) > >>

housetier:
about houseforge recommendations

In this section I want to recommend one tool each month. The tools have to meet several criteria:

* work both on Linux and Windows
* have to be free, as in "no cost", and open source of course
* provide "extra value" to the user: useful and/or fun, or just plain amazing
* I have to like it

Please tell me if you think I should consider a certain tool, game, program, application, whatever. You name it, I rate it! :D

:Thmbsup: Here Is The HouseForge Recommendation for September 2006  :Thmbsup:
short

Name:KeepassPurpose:Secure password safe, and password organizer/managerURL:http://keepass.sourceforge.net/Mini-Review:right here on dc.com
longer

For the month of September 2006 I have decided on Keepass because it is very useful, has features at least *I* want, and it works both on Windows and Linux; there are even ports to PocketPC, Palm OS, and MacOS X. And so you don't have to rely completely on me, Donatiocoder.com member Josh has written a mini-review.

Keepass helps you organize your passwords for just about anything: websites, email accounts, databases... You can organize passwords and search for them. The passwords themselves are securely stored on harddisc, protected with quite strong encryption.

Also you can use Keepass to generate "strong" passwords, so you don't need to come up with them yourself and dont have to use yet another program.

Now, I must admit I don't use keepass(x) myself yet, as I am very happy with Revelation. However, I am very much intrigued by keepass and will definitely try it out myself soon. If I hadn't found Revelation yet, I would have used Keepass.

I am very well aware that there are many "password safe" programs for all the different operating systems out there, but only a few (one?) of these programs support several operating systems; hence I recommend Keepass.

screenshots, painty and colorful

PlatformMain windowadd entry dialogWindowshouseforge recommendation September 2006houseforge recommendation September 2006PocketPChouseforge recommendation September 2006houseforge recommendation September 2006Linuxhouseforge recommendation September 2006houseforge recommendation September 2006MacOS Xhouseforge recommendation September 2006houseforge recommendation September 2006

mouser:
House, i'm very happy to see that you have started the houseforge recommendations - looking forward to reading them regularly  :up: :up: :up:

Eóin:
Hey, I use Keepass and never knew there was a Linux port, excellent news indeed.

Plus I think this is a really good idea :Thmbsup:, can't wait to see what the coming months will bring us.

jgpaiva:
Ok, that's what i call a neat post!
Great work, House!
You're definitelly getting some credits for this, i love the idea!  :Thmbsup:

lanux128:
housetier: you mentioned something about Revelation. does it have a website?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version