ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Note Taking Software

SuperboyAC's Notetaking Software Roundup #1

<< < (10/13) > >>

superboyac:
I open evernote 3, and my information is there.  If I enter a password it syncs.  If  I don't, it lets me edit what I have locally.  Even if I do sync, my information is not publicly available, but secured by a password.  I can also create a local notebook that never syncs, but I haven't used that facility.  *shrugs*

I could do things another way as far as syncing my information, but tools like dropbox, evernote, and google documents make it so I don't have to.  As far as features, it does support nested tagging, attributes, and multiple notebooks, but beyond that I couldn't tell you if it was dumbed down as I never used it very much before 3, even though I had a license.   Now with version 3, I use it all the time.
-wraith808 (April 16, 2009, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Cool, thanks.  Well, looks like I oughta give it a try!

edbro:
I like being able to add something to my database while I'm at work and have it show up in my local database on my home hard drive. Of course, I've chosen to have a synched database. I could have chosen a local only database but, I am not as concerned about having my data on the web. Having said that, I don't keep personal stuff in the online databse. I use Keepass for that. If somebody wants to break into my Evernote account and see my recipes, DIY notes and lifehack articles, then let them. They'll find I live a pretty boring life.  :-[

CodeTRUCKER:
Folks, the main point of my post was retention...

One thing about Evernote 2... ...that is not documented is its ability to save in real time. 

I have never lost any keystroke when the screen went the BSOD-ish shade of blue! :)  So, if one needs to have the assurance that what is being typed will not be lost, then Evernote 2 is the ticket. 
-CodeTRUCKER (April 16, 2009, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, the Evernote 3 client lost this very valuable capability.  In my trials of E3 if there was a BSOD or in random testing of cutting power manually and my assistant dropping the battery at an unannounced moment while I was typing E3 did not retain the keystrokes after the Return/Save.

For whatever reason, I am unable to retain my train of thought while typing since I think fast and type slow.  In cases where I was typing away and the PC glitched, I was unable to rebuild the scenario.  Most frustrating. :( 

Evernote 2 kept every keystroke regardless of the reason for the PC calamity.  This significantly lowered the stress level and I never had to worry about AutoSave either.

To me this is the singular, albeit, "undocumented" feature that makes Evernote 2 stand taller than the rest. 

If there is a chance to lose what you write, what good is any editor, note-taker, word-processor, etc.?

tomos:
I know (I believe) that IQ/SQLNotes saves in real time as well but it's a very different beast to Evernote! There are surely othjer notetakers that have that capability - this was talked about somewhere here :-\

EDIT/
related thread:-
pls recommend a good benign keylogger I think there was another one too but ...

wraith808:
Folks, the main point of my post was retention...

One thing about Evernote 2... ...that is not documented is its ability to save in real time. 

I have never lost any keystroke when the screen went the BSOD-ish shade of blue! :)  So, if one needs to have the assurance that what is being typed will not be lost, then Evernote 2 is the ticket. 
-CodeTRUCKER (April 16, 2009, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, the Evernote 3 client lost this very valuable capability.  In my trials of E3 if there was a BSOD or in random testing of cutting power manually and my assistant dropping the battery at an unannounced moment while I was typing E3 did not retain the keystrokes after the Return/Save.

For whatever reason, I am unable to retain my train of thought while typing since I think fast and type slow.  In cases where I was typing away and the PC glitched, I was unable to rebuild the scenario.  Most frustrating. :( 

Evernote 2 kept every keystroke regardless of the reason for the PC calamity.  This significantly lowered the stress level and I never had to worry about AutoSave either.

To me this is the singular, albeit, "undocumented" feature that makes Evernote 2 stand taller than the rest. 

If there is a chance to lose what you write, what good is any editor, note-taker, word-processor, etc.?
-CodeTRUCKER (April 17, 2009, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since I started using EN3, I haven't had that issue, and I've had a variety of issues with crashing and such, even as far as the sysadmins shutting down my machine with no notice!  Perhaps it was an issue with the version of EN3 that you were using?  Without saving or syncing, my stuff is always there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version