ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Note Taking Software

SuperboyAC's Notetaking Software Roundup #1

<< < (9/13) > >>

tranglos:
^ Totally agreed.   I think people freaked out at the online bit, the interface, or one of the many changes, and didn't take the time to evaluate the product as an evolution rather than an incremental change so missed out.
-wraith808 (April 16, 2009, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to me "the online bit" doesn't quite do it justice. I think it's one of the issues over which Holy War will be fought in computing, like vi vs emacs, perl vs everything else that begins with a 'p', or Total Commander vs Directory Opus :)

Quite seriously though, the more important a piece of data is, the less likely I am to put it online, at the mercy of a company that may disappear or be sold overnight. I don't care if it's Evernote or Google. Not to mention the time lag and the usual horrid interfaces (not that I have even seen the online edition of Evernote). I use Gmail and I like it, but I only use it for mailing lists and as a backup when traveling.

When a company is sold or goes into receivership, is the user data counted as an asset, and does it participate in setting the price/value of the business? I'm afraid the answer is yes it is and yes it does - but if so, than the data isn't really ours. It belongs to the company.

I don't have a particular gripe with Evernote - and if the primary storage is local, then all is dandy. I'm saying this only for the benefit of any hypothetical developers that might stumble upon this thread, so that they would consider how many customers they are apt to lose if they choose this path. Perhaps the gains will be greater than the losses, but a fair warning: try to make me put my private parts and pieces online, and, in the immortal words of Stephen Colbert, you are Dead To Me.

(Okay, so I've been burned. Hotmail once erased three weeks' worth of email from / to my fiancee - and I had to use Hotmail because nothing else was allowed across the firewall at a company I was working for abroad. I should have sued BilG for emotional distress and deprivation.)

tomos:
No, it's stored locally then synced.  If you don't want it to sync, then don't put in the password.
-wraith808 (April 16, 2009, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I don't know why ver 3 is getting such bad press. It offers the opportunity of online storage/sync but you can use it solely offline just as you could ver 2.2. Personally, I like the online capability and I much prefer ver 3's interface.
-edbro (April 16, 2009, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I cant remember the details now but I recall people saying the actual programme was dumbed down (in comparision to previous versions) & I thought that was a big factor in upsetting lots of people.
can it still do all that nice tagging it used be able to do?

superboyac:
i could have sworn evernote 3 stores the information online, and not locally.  Is there anywhere that talks about the details of all of this?  And I agree 100% with tranglos about online anything.  i don't want anything of mine stored online.  i went through great efforts to setup a multiple hard-drive backup/syncing/imaging solution on my computer because i want complete control of my data.  if i need to share my personal data online, I'll do it through very specific file-sharing methods connected to my main computer that i set up myself.  But most people will not go to these extents or even know how to do all this, which is why online methods work for a lot of non-computer-geek people.

edbro:
3 types of notebooks:
Local notebooks reside only on your computer and never get synchronized to the Web server.

Synchronized notebooks get synchronized to the Web server, but are private and only accessible with your username and password.

Published notebooks get synchronized to the Web server, but are public and can be viewed, but not changed, by anyone who knows it's URL (Web address) and by search engines

--- End quote ---
From Evernote.com

wraith808:
I open evernote 3, and my information is there.  If I enter a password it syncs.  If  I don't, it lets me edit what I have locally.  Even if I do sync, my information is not publicly available, but secured by a password.  I can also create a local notebook that never syncs, but I haven't used that facility.  *shrugs*

I could do things another way as far as syncing my information, but tools like dropbox, evernote, and google documents make it so I don't have to.  As far as features, it does support nested tagging, attributes, and multiple notebooks, but beyond that I couldn't tell you if it was dumbed down as I never used it very much before 3, even though I had a license.   Now with version 3, I use it all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version