topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: "Donationware 2.0" or something like that - opinions wanted  (Read 21608 times)

Ruffain

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Donationware 2.0" or something like that - opinions wanted
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 10:19 PM »
I think app103 is right on the money  :D

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 10:59 PM »
I like the term DonationWare... but as App103 said, I don't think donations have to be of a monetary nature. Even when I use FreeWare I like to donate back to the author a "donation" of appreciation and thanks.

Another form of donation can be in the form of time and money, but that does not go directly to the author. For example I could recommend the software, redistribute links, post articles about the software, etc. All of which take time and sometimes more money that what a donation could amount to.

For this reason I like the survey idea. It gives me the opportunity to contribute in some way. It also gives me an opportunity to contribute in an ongoing way (I can complete the survey more than once?). Maybe a survey question could ask what I've done (donated) for the product if it's not money.

Maybe in the future I may decide to donate monetarily (for lots of different reasons... circumstances change). Being able to profile your userbase I'd think would be very interesting and somewhat useful.

A bit of clarification needed: If the DonationWare rules are established and published and people release their products under a DW agreement (which may include rules about nagging people etc)... will there be some avenue for people to report abuse (if it occurs)? Some of the issues talked about here would only be issues if the author did the wrong thing.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 02:21 AM »
I think this is very interesting. I'm wondering, as it seems pmowbray is, whether this is being intended as a sort of general software license model like the many open source models (GPL, etc.). In other words, as said, would there need to be some kind of "regulating body" - a group that determines the terms of the license and also enforces it for those that choose to use it? Interesting concept, perhaps outside the scope of what is done here now, but a potentially wortwhile and ambitious project.

I really like the idea of the survey and I highly encourage implementing it. I think it should be required once for a license as an alternative to donating. *However* I am thinking that a *later* survey (after the person has used the app for a while) might be a lot more valuable (and hence a better stand-in for a donation). So how would you get someone to come back and take your survey later instead? I don't suppose collecting the e-mail address only on initial licensing and then sending out an expiry notice and request to take the survey for unlimited future licensing would be tolerated. How about having a completely optional survey (that you can skip with one button click) that precedes each download of a major version release? That way you do get your ongoing feedback, which I think is of greatest value.

Quite frankly I think this whole "relicensing after 6 month is intolerable" thing is kind of ludicrous. We get this software essentially for free and only have to do something to ensure that every 6 months? Small, small price to pay IMO. The question is how valuable is each user of your software, paying or otherwise? If pure numbers are what matters then do everything possible not to nag. But that does beg the question: why donationware? You see lots of *freeware* author's pages that have donate links on them. Is that software donationware? Perhaps it would help in this discussion to more clearly differentiate between donationware and freeware. I think I get the basic differences, but there are some potential gray areas.

On a final note, I rather like the idea of "pay what you want" software and I wonder how it would fair against a donationware model. If you *must* pay something, even if it's a minimal amount, how much would that put people off? Interesting stuff.

I do have more stuff to say on this but I've kind of run out of steam. I'll keep an eye on this thread and add more as it comes up though.

- Oshyan

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Some of my ideas on Donationware 2.0

For users who haven't donated,

License Type: Freeware (120 days before renewal is necessary)

1. DC donationware will not require any license key to run in full-functional mode for the first 15 days after first installation (Trial period)   Optional

2. [After the 15-day trial], the user is required to obtain a valid license key to continue using the program. Otherwise the program will not run.

3. Each license key will be valid for 4 months. After expiration, the user will have to renew his license at the DC website. Otherwise the program will not run.

4. The user will be reminded constantly by a unobtrusive static notification label staying in the corner of the program GUI to keep him informed about the expiration date of the current license key.

5. Users can renew their license keys forever at any time, without restrictions.

6. After 1 year from initial signup, the non-donating user can return to the DC website for a permanent non-expiring license key.

DC donationware will not pop up any reminder nag nor cripple any functionality for non-donating members in ANY situation.

For DonationCoder members,

License Type:  Lifetime Universal Deluxe

I think  we (dc coders) are trapped by a dilemma regarding how to encourage people to donate -

• If we don't nag or don't nag enough, most users won't donate if they are not used to the concept of donationware.
  • If we are to nag users into donating (rarely works), we've already crossed over the line to become nagware makers.

Does "Stop working" work (for non-donating users)?

1. It's psychologically more effective than nagging, giving a user more incentive to donate.

It doesn't take a lot for users to get used to nags since they just have to press "OK" "I understand". And if the program works full-functionally after nagging, users looks upon it as an (imperfect) private property that they can use it or dispose of it any time, which discourages them to donate - "I've got it, just a nag screen, no big deal, why bother donating? It'll still work no matter what."

However with "stop working", it's less likely for an illusion of 'private property' and 'full control' to develop. Users know that the program will not be theirs until they decide to donate. So it appears more like a trialware to users for which they have to pay after a period, but it's actually not. - However by changing the way people think, the way they look at it, hopefully we can get more donations.

2. By giving users a 4-month between-renewal period and forever free license key renewal, we are not being mean to anybody.

Users get enough(ample!) time to decide to donate, and they are allowed to donate any amount. If a user still won't spare a dime for our work, why would we reciprocate with excessive generosity?

3. The '1-year permanent non-expiring license key' offer already indicates we are basically freeware authors with goodwill.

Alternatives to "Stop working completely"

Sometimes a user might be in urgent need of a DCware and he happens to have forgotten to renew his license. (Travelling on a train, airplane, a ship, etc.) Should our programs still to their seemingly unforgiving "no renewal, no way"? Maybe sometimes not.

Alternatives:

1. Display a textbox asking the user to type in words like "Emergency Use Only" verbatim and click ok to continue using the app.

2. Tell the user that he can change the system date temperarily to trick the program into work.

3. Nag, and nag more.

A thought?  :)

- Anderson

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 03:04 PM »
How about a section of the GUI where a link to donate and a message will appear.

Maybe first time they run the application it can be a message explaining the concept of donationware.

Next time they run it, a counter will appear in that section telling them how many times they have run it.

After 30 uses, a new message will appear asking them how much they think the application is worth.

After 50 uses it can suggest that they must like the software to have used it 50 times.

...And so on.

And change the color of the messages each time...and maybe a small graphic that changes too.

Once they donate, the message section can either be completely removed, or a random thank you message can load there every time they use it. Things like "thanks for putting food on my table", "thanks for helping me pay off my student loans", "thanks for helping me get DSL", etc....and maybe inspiring messages related to generosity that give people a warm feeling inside....something like "Takers may eat better but givers sleep better...thanks for being a giver."

Keep it small enough to not be all that annoying, but visible enough to be a reminder...and since it is constantly changing, it will be more noticeable.

People tend to become blind to things that stay the same all the time, which is why a nag every time they open a program that requires them to click OK doesn't work...it's always the same nag. They read it once and never read it again...they just close it.

I know this from first hand experience with a calculator program that I love and have used for quite a few years and would gladly pay for if I could only find the developer. The nag screen has a dead AOL email address to contact for more info about purchasing a copy without the nag, which comes with the source for the program too.

Unfortunately, the email address was already dead when I downloaded it from the AOL download center. So I am used to clicking OK when I use it.

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 09:00 PM »
I am retired, my monthly revenu is below $700.00 monthly. There are no housing expenses, but otherwise, expenses are normal. My only hobby is computer browsing?? I do not need any or few software programs, but I enjoy seing and using all kinds of new and handy apps. I use a lot of free software and I sometimes donate some funds even if I do not have much to give, because, I truly believe that it is a positive sign of support to the programmer. This said, I probably could nor afford to use a computer for fun if there were no free software available.
J.R. (I am trying a new name)
JR

ricobird

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Wow, J.R. I don't think anyone would expect you to donate a large amount. I admire you for being able to get by on such a small monthly income. I, personally donate to the programer or buy every program that I use. It, just seems right to me. J.R., God bless and happy surfing.

Best,
ricobird