topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Possible bug in Find and Run?  (Read 23616 times)

jacques0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Possible bug in Find and Run?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 12:24 PM »
mouser...I download the new file and report back in a couple minutes.  I do, in fact, use the Unites States-International keyboard.  That's a good point, because I switched to it a long time ago to take advantage of some of the symbols available there.

I be back in a few minutes.

jacques0

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 12:37 PM »
mouser... The new file works fine.  The result was "Hello. I detected your hotkey."  A sampling of my other shortcuts worked before, during, and after running the test file.

Also, regarding non-English keyboards:  my alias, Jacques0, is only that: an alias.  I live in the U.S. and only use that name for msg. boards and the like (although, when I see how I left out the word "will" in the first sentence of my previous post [i.e., it should be "I will download...."] I can see how someone would think that English is not my primary language!  Oh well, the perils of typing too fast and not proofreading.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 12:46 PM »
hahahahaah, no i wasn't asking about non-english because of your typing - hehehehehe

believe me, i'm the last person on this forum who should complain about people's typing errors

i was asking because i found some code in the hotkey component used for find&run robot that does a strange thing with loading the english keyboard layout in order to get key names, and i thought that that might somehow be responsible for reseting your system hotkeys..

anyway, i have pieced together the code i need to solve the problem minimally, though i hope you will be willing to do a few more tests as i try to also find a way to fix the existing hotkey component i use since its a little better than the new one.  but either way i should have a new version today or tomorrow which works 100% for you.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 01:27 PM »
jacques0, another question, i forgot whether you said your system hotkeys stopped working as soon as f&r dialog is shown, or only after you first exit it.  could you clarify?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 01:50 PM »
on the chance that it is this code that activates english keyboard in an attempt to get hotkey names, maybe you could try this version of f&r where ive disabled the code that does this:

http://donationcoder...AndRunRobotSetup.exe

jacques0

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 02:45 PM »
mouser...The shortcuts are disabled as soon as f&r runs in the version presently on my computer.   I'll download and test the program from the link in your previous msg.  Give me a few minutes to check it out.

Also, is there a difference between "hotkey" and "keyboard shortcut", as I have earlier described?  There are so many ways to launch programs, and I tend to use them all, it seems.  As I've mentioned, there are the F1, F2, F3 etc. (some of which occur automatically with Windows or with Internet Explorer [e.g., F1 is context-sensitive help, F3 is Find, F5 is Refresh, F6 highlights the address bar, etc.];  then there are the Ctrl-Alt-X type (or, as I use them, Rt.Alt-X), which I set up in a program's shortcut property sheet; then there are the Fn-X type (these, I believe, use a couple proprietary Toshiba programs running in the background); finally there are the WindowsKey-X type (e.g., WindowsKey+d minimizes all windows).

I'm not trying to confuse things by bringing all these up, but perhaps you already know the answer after having dealt with them so much.

Back in a few minutes.

J.

jacques0

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 04:18 PM »
mouser....IT WORKS! You did it!

I installed the beta version you linked in your last post and everythings works great!  I tried all 3 forms (Standalone, Tray/Main App, Tray/Trigger), tested all 4 types of shortcuts I mentioned in my last post, before during and after running f&r, and the ONLY curiousity that came out of it (and this is VERY inconsequential, and perhaps something I can solve on my end) is that when I launched the little calendar app on my desktop, it launched as though it was the first time it had ever been launched, without some permanent entries I had written to it.  Yet, when I launched the calendar directly from the desktop shortcut, it worked fine (i.e., nothing had been changed to its config file).  Believe me, this is nothing.

Find & Run, in the present form on my computer, is now everything I had hoped for.  I'm extremely impressed with your ability to quickly address the issue and to solve it. 

One more thing I'll try yet, to see if it makes any difference, is to pack the executable.  This is something I do to virtually all exe's on my hard drive, using Aspack.  It began when I had an old computer with a small HD, so I tried to save every byte of space I could.  Now, it's just a habit, but in some cases the apps seem to launch faster.  Actually, I'll do it right now to see if that changes anything.....

Nope, everything still works fine.  The Find and Run Robot executable is now 394 Kb, down from 1262 Kb.

Let me know if there are any more tweaks you'd like for me to test.  It seems like we're on a roll now (that's an editorial "we", as you're doing all the programming!).

Congratulations!

Jacques

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 04:39 PM »
well i couldn't have fixed it without your help.
i will now send the info we have found to the author of the freeware hotkey component i use, so really we will have helped him as well; so overall a nice team effort.

regarding the calendar tool - this is probably because f&r is failing to launch the calendar tool in the proper "working directory" - i will try to fix this since your calendar tool is surely not the only program that could react this way.

thank you so much for being so patient and being willing to try all those tests - i can't tell you how much i appreciate it.
and like i was saying before, for every person who has the patience to help me find such bugs, there are countless others who encounter the bug and give up on the program in disgust, so it really means a lot to me when i find someone willing to help me fix such things.

ok now we can get onto adding some new features to this baby..