ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Possible bug in Find and Run?

<< < (2/7) > >>

jacques0:
Mouser...

First off, let me say how impressed I am with your concern.  I really appreciate your diligence to my question.

I'll answer your questions in order:

1.  The fact that Windows keyhoard shortcuts work for you, while F&R is running is---in itself---revealing.  For clarification, I'm going to explain in detail what I am referring to as "Windows keyboard shortcuts" so that we are both on the same page here:

*  If I go to a shortcut icon on my Desktop, for example Quicken, and choose "Properties" from the right-click menu,  I am presented with a property sheet with two tabs. 

*  Choosing the "Shortcut" tab, I can go to the "Shortcut key" textbox and enter there a letter/number/other keystroke which-----combined with either [Ctrl-Alt] or else [right-Alt] will execute the shortut (i.e., run the program). 

*  In the example I have used, pressing [right-Alt+Q] will run Quicken on my computer.  I have many such shortcuts set up on my machine.

*  This is the function that, on my computer, is disabled after running F&R (i.e., after running F&R, pressing [right-Alt+Q] does nothing.

Okay, now I'll move on.

2.  No.  If I exit F&R my keyboard shortcuts do not work until I either reboot or re-start the computer.

3.  I use Windows 98SE (I know, it's dated, but it has been absolutely bullet-proof for me so far, and I have a lot of confidence in it). 

4.  No other hotkey program running, although Toshiba has its own hotkey program available, which I don't use (btw, I'm using a Toshiba laptop).  I do notice, however, that Toshiba's Tfunckey process is running (visible via Process Monitor, from Sysinternals.com). 

5.  Yes.  The break key does work to launch F&R.

6.  I have tried this already, but did so again for the purpose of this post.  (a) Windows booted without F&R loaded; (b) launched Quicken (just to keep the example consistent) using [right-Alt+Q] as a test: Quicken launched fine; (c) launched F&R tray utility (less memory), then launched Quicken via F&R: Quicken launched fine; (d)  Closed Quicken, then tried to launch Q via [right-Alt+Q].  Received Windows "ding" and no launch; (e) Closed F&R tray utility and tried again to launch Q via [right-Alt+Q]: Windows "ding" and no launch; (f) Tried other keyboard shortcuts with similar response. 

Another, perhaps important, point:

I just now noticed that the programs I have set up to launch via an "F" key (in other words, F1, F2, F3, etc.) work fine.  The ones presenting difficulty are the ones requiring the Ctrl-Alt/Right-Alt prefix. 

I'd be curious to see what the experiences of other Toshiba users has been.

After posting this, I will disable the Toshiba Tfunckey process, then re-start the computer to see if that plays a role.  I'll report back.

Thanks again.  This is interesting.

Jacques

mouser:
thanks jacques0, thats helpful information.
we are definitely on the same page, i understand the shortcut hotkeys you are talking about.
i definitely dont have your problem on my winxp machine but i will try it on a win98 machine and see if i do.

im definitely curious to hear if the problem happens regardless of whether you choose the:
"Find and Run Robot Hotkey Tray - Use Main Application (runs faster)"
or the
"Find and Run Robot Hotkey Tray - Use Tray Utility (uses less memory)"
way of launching F&R.

i will definitely have a fix for this in the next day, the only question is how elegant the fix is (ie whether you will have to choose between using break key and having bug or using something other than break key and not having bug).

jacques0:
Mouser...More info:

First, I mis-stated that TfuncKey is a process running, whereas it actually is a program and shows up in the Task Monitor.  

This is what I have done since my last post:

1.  I disabled TfuncKey, then shut down, re-started Windows.  All results are same as before (i.e., F key shortcuts work before and after F&R, RightAlt+shortcut functions work before but not after F&R runs.

2.  I then enabled Tfunckey, but disabled Thotkey.exe, then shut down/re-start.  Same results.

3.  I then disabled both TfuncKey and ThotKey, then shut down/re-start.  Same results.  

The reason I shut down, then re-start is so that system memory is flushed, assuring no carryover effects, whereas a re-boot can sometimes have residual effects from previously running programs.

I've been playing around with RegMon (also from SysInternals.com), trying to find a registry access to explain the situation but---thusfar---I haven't found anything that jumps out at me.

Jacques

p.s.  I just noticed you reposted.  I will do a test of both functions, then report back.

jacques0:
Mouser...More test results...

I tested all 3 modes (Standalone, TrayTrigger [uses less memory], and Main Application [runs faster]).  For each test I did the following:

(1) Before launching any F&R function I launched Notepad by pressing RightAlt+N (my Windows shortcut for Notepad).  I also launched the Windows Find function by pressing F3, and I launched Windows Help by pressing F1.

(2)  I then launched F&R (note: between tests for each F&R mode, I shut down, then re-started Windows).

(3)  The program shortcuts mentioned in step (1) were then attempted again. 

(4)  F&R was then shut down, and the program shortcuts were attempted again.

Here are the results:

Standalone Application:

RightAlt+N shortcut worked before application started, but not after, and did not work after application was shut down.  F1 & F3 worked before and after.

System re-started........

Use Main Application (runs faster):

RightAlt+N shortcut worked before tray icon started, but not afterward (i.e., shortcut did not work regardless of whether GUI launched or not).   RightAlt shortcuts did not work after tray icon was closed. F1 & F3 worked before and after.

System re-started.........

Use Tray Utility (uses less memory):

Right Alt+N shortcut worked before tray icon started, worked after tray icon started, but did not work after program launched from tray icon (using break key or clicking icon).  If, however, the try icon was exited before launching F&R GUI, then all shortcuts worked normally.  The F1, F3, etc. shortcuts worked normally before and after, and regardless of whether the GUI was launched.

Whew!  Hope this helps.

J.

mouser:
well that last test is a great help, and *suggests* that i should be able to fix this bug 100%.

thank you so much for doing all the tests.

i'll tell you what i tell other people that report bugs to me -
it's simply not possible to get these things fixed without those of you willing to give me these reports.
for every person who reports a bug, there are probably 10 or 20 more who encounter the bug and just uninstall the program out of disgust.

i can't thank enough those of you who are willing to test stuff and report back.

i am on the problem and hopefully will have a fix very soon.  like i said that last test suggests that i should be able to solve this problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version