ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Open/Save Dialog Utilities - response to Nudone's Blog from May

<< < (5/10) > >>

Scott:
The sounds made by Xdesksoftware's stuff bypasses the sound card, and comes right out the PC internal speaker.  Yes, there is an option to disable the sounds, but it's locked in the trial.  Which, quite frankly, I think is bullshit.  He's literally trying to annoy prospective users into buying the software.  OK I'm in a bad mood and about 40 hours behind in sleep this week, but isn't that nonsense?

There has to be a registry value to disable the sound, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\XDESKSOFTWARE.  Going to see if I can figure out what it is...

Darwin:
Yeah , that  is nonsense. Why make your app that annoying in trial mode? Nag screens are annoying, too, but at least they generally pop up once when you start the program and then you can use it normally thereafter. I had a look in the registry but all I could find were keys related to all the programs with Open/Save dialogs modified by XFilesDialog...

Darwin:
Well... I just dashed off a missive to the developer of XFilesDialog suggesting that potential customers may be being turned off by the subscription policy and its pricing and by features of the trial such as having a sound event triggered each time a window is processed. I *hope* that I was diplomatic enough to have my comments taken in the spirit in which they were intended. We shall see!

Scott:
I really think your message will bounce right off him.  I have written him about his nonsense forced-splash-screen policy, even for registered users, and he refuses to change it.  There is even a FAQ on his web site about it.  (It basically says "Yeah, there are splash screens in the registered version.  Deal with it.")  Fortunately, there is a (naughty little) way to get rid of the damned things.

Based on things like this, I really doubt he'll change his mind about other annoying nonsense.

mouser:
ps hot folders is another really good one:

http://www.pssoftlab.com/index.phtml

and the author also make a nice tray tool, and another launch tool.
and he's a nice guy too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version