ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

anyone tried i.Scribe email client?

<< < (3/3)

muntealb:
1) Using Gmail with iScribe

I did follow the tutorial for creating a Gmail account to use with iScribe to the letter, but the tutorial has a mistake so it did not work. I thought that iScribe did not remember the passwords because they dissapeared from the boxes where they were written. Now I know after reading your message that this is a security measure so it must be something else that doesn't work. I checked the connection log and it said "Credentials rejected".

In the tutorial it is said that :

====================
On the Send tab set the fields:
User name: (my username)@gmail.com 

On the Receive tab set the fields:
User name: (my username)@gmail.com
=======================

So I wrote [email protected] like in the tutorial, but this is wrong and that's whty the program did not work. After deleting the @gmail.com part the program works. So the "User name" field should be only username, not [email protected] .

2) Large Fonts

I use the latest test version 1.89 test21
The problem with the display of the large fonts is not so severe now, but after I posted my previous message I reinstalled Vista and updated it. The reinstallation was because of a problem with some fonts in another application (I could not see correctly some romanian characters in a translated CHM Help file that somenone submitted to me for review, but they were displayed correctly after the reinstallation). Seems that this cured almost all the problems in iScribe also (some controls appear clipped but if I click on them they are displayed correctly).

3) Selection of the font

You are right, I apologize, I must have seen the option to change the font. I can use any font I want in iScribe, for example Arial but I cannot select the script. I always use Central European script when I select the font for use in the text editors (EditPad, Notepad, etc.), but IScribe does not let me choose that script.

4) Writing in Romanian

I cannot write in romanian in iScribe although you say it supports Unicode. Romanian uses the latin alphabet + 5 letters with diacritics Ă Â Î Ș Ț. In iScribe only  Πare displayed correctly, Ș and Ț are displayed as question marks (the input is not recognized), and Ă is displayed as A (the letter A exists of course in romanian and is different of Ă). By contrast Ă Â Î Ș Ț can be typed in Windows Mail (the replacement for Outlook Expres in Vista) and in Koma-Mail, Thunderbird and Sylpheed.

This is a complex problem that appears only in Vista, because this version of the operating system is the only one from MS that could display Ș and Ț (before that they were displayed as Ş and Ţ, which are wrong, because they have a cedilla whereas the romanian letters have a comma below them). However, many applications do not recognize Ș and Ț when they are typed, only when they are copied from the Clipboard or put in the text via drag-and-drop. iScribe displays Ș and Ț in received messsages, but I cannot type them in a message that I want to send (by contrast, Koma-Mail and the other e-mail clients mentioned above support the typing of Ș and Ț).

I already discussed in detail this Ș and Ț problem here :

http://www.sqlnotes.net/Forums/tabid/54/forumid/-1/threadid/1800/scope/posts/Default.aspx

You can find the take on this particular problem (applications that do not support typing Ș and Ț under Vista) by Michael Kaplan (Technical Lead in the International Fundamentals team at Microsoft) here :

http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2007/05/01/2367135.aspx

5) Conclusion
I never said that iScribe was a bad program, only that it failed to check my Gmail account and cannot be used by romanians because some letters with diacritics cannot be written. The Gmail checking has been resolved. If the problem with the typing of the romanian letters Ș Ț Ă is fixed I will translate it into romanian.

fret:
Writing in Romanian
--- End quote ---

Wow, there is a lot of problems with Romanian. On XP I get something reasonable but not fully correct. On Vista I get the aforementioned question marks. But it goes pretty deep. After hours of looking at it, it seems like it's a problem with the windows TranslateMessage function, where it converts a WM_KEYDOWN into a WM_CHAR message. The WM_KEYDOWN has the correct unicode character in it but by the time it gets to the app in WM_CHAR form it's a question mark. Which to me sounds like TranslateMessage is failing because the unicode code point is not in the current ANSI code page.

I'm trialling making my own WM_CHAR event based on the WM_KEYDOWN message and I can type in the Ș and Ț characters in Vista. But there'll need to be a fair bit of testing to make sure it doesn't break anything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version