topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Money tips for Students — much needed advice!  (Read 9016 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Money tips for Students — much needed advice!
« on: September 01, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Tired of eating noodles every other week? Too poor to buy that lapdance, or do you find yourself staring at the counter, deciding whether to spend your last $5-spot on candy or fast food? The Get Rich Slowly blog has some solid Money Tips for Students that I wish I'd had back in the day.

It's worth perusing this advice. For people like me who never learned how to manage money (I have no excuse except that I never had any money to "manage" and still don't), I wish I'd known the things this blog dispenses. Instead I was happy to eat one meal a day during college, usually a box of macaroni and cheese, which I inhaled and salivated over like Homer Simpson. As a result, to this day I swear as Scarlett O'Hara:

As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:42 PM by zridling »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Money tips for Students — much needed advice!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:58 PM »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:43 PM »
Man, I need these sites, thanks for the links. I'm not a miser, but if I got it, I spend on something, and I always have something to show for it — software, computer hardware, rakes, ladder, tools, whatever. I don't blow it, but I find a place for any extra money I have.

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:44 PM »
My personal favorite used to be called cheapskate monthly, now debtproofliving.com.   See http://www.cheapskat...outus_cheapskate.asp  for an explanation.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 02:35 AM »
Great site, momonan, thanks!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:36 AM »
A must have for any tightwad:

tightwad.jpg

This book became my consumer bible when it was first published. It changed my attitude about a lot of things. I actually LIKE being called a tightwad...it's a badge of honor I wear with pride.  ;D

Note: The true tightwad way to acquire this book is to get a group of like-minded people together and chip in to buy a used copy and share it.  ;)