topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Frink - Multi skilled converter-math application  (Read 18002 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Frink - Multi skilled converter-math application
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:38 AM »
This application is mix of calculator-converter and programming  language. Also it offers translation services if you have internet connection.

It would be very neat if this could be embedded into FARR somehow :)

http://futureboy.us/frinkdocs/

"Frink is a practical calculating tool and programming language designed to help us all to better understand the world around us, to help us get calculations right without getting bogged down in the mechanics, and to make a tool that's really useful in the real world. It tracks units of measure (feet, meters, kilograms, watts, etc.) through all calculations, allowing you to make physical calculations easily, to mix units of measure transparently, and ensures that the answers come out right."

# Tracks units of measure (feet, meters, tons, dollars, watts, etc.) through all calculations and allows you to add, subtract, multiply, and divide them effortlessly, and makes sure the answer comes out correct, even if you mix units like gallons and liters.
# Arbitrary-precision math, including huge integers and floating-point numbers, rational numbers (that is, fractions like 1/3 are kept without loss of precision,) complex numbers, and intervals.
# Advanced mathematical functions including trigonometric functions (even for complex numbers,) factoring and primality testing, and base conversions.
# Unit Conversion between thousands of unit types with a huge built-in data file.
# Date/time math (add offsets to dates, find out intervals between times,) timezone conversions, and user-modifiable date formats.
# Translates between several human languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, Swedish, and Arabic.
# Calculates historical buying power of the U.S. dollar and British pound.
# Calculates exchange rates between most of the world's currencies.
# Powerful Perl-like regular expression capabilities and text processing.
# Supports Unicode throughout, allowing processing of almost all of the world's languages.
# Supports Interval Arithmetic (also known as Interval Computations) in calculations, allowing you to automagically calculate error bounds and uncertainties in all of your calculations.
# Reads HTTP and FTP-based URLs as easily as reading local files, allowing fetching of live web-based data.
# Runs on most major operating systems (anything with Java 1.1 or later,) as an applet, through a web-based interface, on a wireless Palm VII, on an HDML- or WML-based webphone, and on many mobile phones and hand-held devices.
# Installs itself on your system in seconds using Java Web Start and automatically keeps itself updated when new versions of Frink are released.
# Runs with a Graphical User Interface (both Swing and AWT) or a command-line interface.
# User interface has a Programming Mode which allows you to write, edit, save, and run extremely powerful programs even on a handheld device.
# Powers Frink Server Pages, a system for providing dynamic web pages powered by Frink.
# Frink is a full-fledged programming language with arrays, dictionaries, sets, functions, loops, even object-oriented programming and self-evaluation.
# Frink allows Object-Oriented Programming, which allows you to create complex data structures that are still easy to use.
# Java Introspection layer allows you to call any Java code from within Frink.
# Frink can also be embedded in a Java program, giving your Java programs all the power of Frink.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Frink - Multi skilled converter-math application
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:36 PM »
I actually would like to know what some of those snappy programmers think about this. As a non programmer tiny scripter I think this application is really useful in many levels.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:42 AM »
It can using the html view and doing something like the below...
Copy the below text and right click on the listview in my aliases or another that is not read only and hit "Import: Paste Preformatted Alias Groups..".

1000>>>frink>->Frink Calc - [$$1] | htmlviewurl http://futureboy.us/fsp/frink.fsp?fromVal=$$1>n>Unit Lookup - [$$1] | htmlviewurl http://futureboy.us/fsp/frink.fsp?lookup=$$1>+>^frink (.*)

To test do something like...

frink 10 yards->meters

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:47 AM by hamradio »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21 AM »
ha! it worked! nice.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:57 PM »
ok, I have managed to run Frink from Farr as an aliases. Naturally the results are shown outside of Farr in commandline box. I have tried console plugin but it seems to be broken at the moment.

9000>>>frink>->frink $$1 | E:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /k frink.bat "$$1">+>^frink (.*)

I am under 64bit xp that is why my cmd exe is in a weird place normally it is under system32 so for you it should be

9000>>>frink>->frink $$1 | E:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k frink.bat "$$1">+>^frink (.*)

To run frink from commandline please carefully follow this section it the help file

http://futureboy.hom.../#CommandLineOptions

You need to download the .bat file mentioned there which is " http://futureboy.hom...t/frinkjar/frink.bat ". Then modify the paths properly inside the .bat file. One thing that is missing in the batch file is "-e" option. I think programmer has forgotten it. So the correct line is is below

"
REM If we're running with arguments,
"%JAVA%" -Xmx192M -cp "%FRINKJAR%" frink.parser.Frink -k -e %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
goto END
"

"-k" means interactive mode, you can remove it if you want frink to calculate and quit calculation mode.

Also make sure that your Frink app folder path is added to environment variables (also mentioned in Frink help).

Once you set all you will have a true calculator that can convert, calculate many zillion things and formats. This one is nicer than google cal because this is an offline solution ( unless you want to do exchange rates).

I am hoping that someone could make a successfull Farr console plugin alias for Farr.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:01 PM by kartal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02 PM »
i think we just need czechboy to post an example of how to use the pcommand with the new console plugin and new version of farr.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07 PM »
that would be great. I would surely prefer a natural embedding of the frink results.

Just you know guys, Frink is frinking cool. It can do stuff like time calculations, extract info from websites like fishing emails or urls, check out time zones etc etc.  Give a try.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:18 PM by kartal »

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 03:04 AM »
I have uploaded latest version 1.06 of console plugin.
here is how to use pcommand:
test
^test (.*?)$
City time: $$1 | pcommand console D:\citytime.exe $$1
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:25 AM »
WiseCalc may or may not yet have reached their target, but they too are aiming at the top:

WiseCalc is the complete mathematical text engine calculator for your computer. WiseCalc is better than other calculation software because:

* it's FREE!
    * it has a multi-line text-editor type of interface
    * it has 450+ unit conversions built-in
    * it has hundreds of functions built-in
    * it can save and open calculation pages
    * it can evaluate built-in and user definable functions, units, constants, and matrices
    * it just is... trust us!

Go ahead and see for yourself what WiseCalc has to offer. We want WiseCalc to be the best FREE calculator there is. If you have any ideas about how to make WiseCalc better or you encounter any problems, please let us know via e-mail or post on the message boards.

http://www.wisecalc.com/

Calculation Engine

* Supports evaluation of complex in-line mathematical expressions
    * Line referencing (can perform mathematical operations of various line
    * Evaluation of the Inverse, Prime Factors, and Decimal to Fraction automatically
    * Ability to solve built-in and user defined functions
    * Ability to use built-in or user defined constants in mathematical expressions
    * Standard, Engineering, Scientific, and Financial modes
    * Tape mode supported for referring to the previous line when performing mathematical operations
    * All types of Trigonometric functions built in with Radian and Degree modes
    * Supports calculating and working with imaginary numbers in Rectangular, Polar, or Rectangular Sum modes
    * Evaluation of mathematical expressions in number bases 2 - 16 (decimal: 10 is the default)
    * Evaluation of mathematical expressions in different numbers bases (2 - 16) at the same time
    * Ability to dynamically change the number of Significant Figures used for display
    * Mathematical Operations supported: +, -, *, /, ^, !, | |, i
    * Bitwise Operations and Bit Shifting supported for Binary numbers

File I/O

* Ability to Save CalcPages
    * Ability to Open CalcPages
    * Ability to Print Calc Pages (includes Print Preview)

Conversions

* 450+ built-in unit conversions
    * Ability to create user-defined units for use in unit conversions
    * Base Number conversions (any number base 2 - 16)

Matrix Math

* Ability to create user-defined Matrices
    * Built-in Gaussian Jordan Elimination
    * Take the Inverse and Transpose of Matrices
    * Row-by-Row operations (add multiplies of rows to other rows, divide rows, switch rows)

Miscellaneous

* Ability to calculate the elapsed time between two date and times (from seconds to Millennia)
    * Ability to use Greek symbols in user defined Functions and Constants
    * Ability to change font size, color, and style in CalcPages
    * Ability to remove trailing zeros

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12 AM »
thanks for the update. But I am getting an error when I try your citytime syntax. CHeck out the screenshot for the error please.

pcommand:
test
^test (.*?)$
City time: $$1 | pcommand console

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:21 AM »
that probably means you dont have the (latest?) version of the console plugin installed.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00 AM »
No, I have updated the plugin.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 07:41 AM »

after updating the plugin, i too lost the functionality on the citytime alias, though didn't produce an error message. check out the post i made a post here.

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 05:09 AM »

This error occurs when console plugin does not respond to FARR. This can be caused by old version of FARR or Console plugin. So pls try to reinstall both ;)

Second error I see in your alias is that when path contains space characters it MUST be enclosed in "" ;)

Hope it helps
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 12:02 PM »
czechboy, which part should be enclosed by ""? I tried couple variations and getting the same usual error.

Farr and console plugin updated to latest, has not produced a solution.

Here is the alias based on your recommandation

1000>>>citytime>->citytime $$1| pcommand console "E:\INCELENECEK_YAZILIMLAR\yardimci yazilimlar\CityTime\citytime.exe $$1">+>^citytime {0,1}(.*?)$

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 12:40 PM »
maybe try
1000>>>citytime>->citytime $$1| pcommand console "E:\INCELENECEK_YAZILIMLAR\yardimci yazilimlar\CityTime\citytime.exe" $$1>+>^citytime {0,1}(.*?)$

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 12:47 PM »
it does not work. I have no idea why I am getting that particular message. I am under 64bit xp, would that be a problem?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 12:50 PM »
when you run the updater, what version of Console plugin does it say you have installed?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 01:08 PM »
1.01.06 (installed, web)