Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 18, 2014, 09:57:53 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: GreatNews RSS Reader  (Read 15202 times)
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 08, 2005, 06:24:02 AM »

Always on the lookout for good new software, and found GreatNews RSS Reader just before going to bed this morning — Wow! It's fast, free, lightweight, and on the way to being really good. I wish it had more features right now, but the author reminds everyone not to panic and constantly asks for feedback. I've been looking for a replacement for FeedDemon now that Nick Bradbury sold out to NewsGator and turned it into subscriptionware. (I will never pay for subscription-based software!)

- zaine (on Google+)
Scott
Resident Googler
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »

Am I the only one who uses WebSite-Watcher as an RSS reader?  It makes sense to me for an RSS reader to have change the notification features of WSW.

I tried using Thunderbird as an RSS reader for awhile, but it would need ten promotions to get to "suck".

« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 03:08:07 PM »

I LOVE Website-Watcher and I noticed new RSS features there, but I've never tried them. I use it to hunt for program updates. Thanks Scott, now you just ruined my afternoon! (I'll spend it playing with Website-Watcher and RSS feeds now.)  smiley

- zaine (on Google+)
m_s
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:54:34 AM »

I just went over to Newsgator and discovered that they released version 2.0 of FeedDemon yesterday, and have changed their subscription models also.  I've donwloaded it and it really is nice - but I'm still not sure yet whether it's $29.95 better than GreatNews!
moerl
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:30:33 PM »

Does GreatNews have FeedDemon's autowatches and channel newspaper views? Those two are FD's strongest features IMHO.. and I wouldn't be without them. I stlil have to check out AlertBear. I can't stop dreaming of the ultimate RSS reader... a merging of FeedDemon and AlertBear... oh boy.
tinyvillager
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »

Not to be a thread Nazi,
http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=1976.0

Dupe Cool
No Digg, Grin
Just kidding.

I am actually thinking about using it though,i've never been into rss/atom feeds til of late,my bookmarks
are getting out of control and it makes good sense.
m_s
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 02:58:33 AM »

Moerl: yes, it does have newspaper views, which I consider essential - and I think it has autowatches, though that's not functionality that I use right now: I prefer to manually update, since I'm on a dial-up broadband and not always-on, and I like to choose when my machine is connected.  I've switched over to FeedDemon to test it properly for a few weeks, but so far - nice as it is - I'm not seeing $29.95 worth of superiority over GreatNews.
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:11:54 PM »

I must say, I have been using opera's rss reader more and more. Although, I think I am going to switch to great news. I've used it in the past, it is a great program, and it has more customizability on views than opera's does.

Strength in Knowledge
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 05:12:21 AM »

It really makes feeds easy to read, that's for sure.

- zaine (on Google+)
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 11:43:57 PM »

As far as readers that integrate into your browser, I would have to say the Sage extension for Firefox is about the best.

Major Features:
* Reads RSS (2.0, 1.0, 0.9x) and Atom feeds
* Feed Discovery
* Integrates with Firefox's bookmark storage and Live Bookmarks
* Imports and exports OPML feed lists
* Newspaper feed rendering customizable via style sheets
* Technorati and RSS search engine integration
* Catalan, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Swedish locale support
* Simple, one step install / uninstall

After installation, there are four ways to access Sage in Firefox:
* Menu selection, Tools -> Sage
* Menu selection, View -> Sidebar -> Sage
* Keyboard shortcut, Alt-S
* Toolbar button, View -> Toolbars -> Customize, drag the Sage icon to the toolbar

* sage.jpg (119.13 KB, 500x408 - viewed 878 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.062s | Server load: 0 ]