ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Article: How Much System Memory Is Really Enough?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Swap will, unfortunately, be necessary a long time yet, as long as we have sloppy coders like the ones at Adobe.
--- End quote ---

Bit harsh - one of the reasons for high memory usage is the use of many layers in processing files as well as the use of snapshots which means you store multiple copies of files (I don't mean the history palette there either - I mean snapshots which are user made intermediate images). History could be made more efficient by storing instruction sequences rather than intermediate images but then each step would have to be undoable in software and so would need a lot more code - plus it would be slower.

It isn't uncommon for me to have 10-15Mb images - once you start adding extra layers and multiple undoable changes the amount of memory escalates.

By the way Adobe Photoshop doesn't seem to use a lot of Pagefile space since it uses its own scratchfile system.

app103:
Don't forget the HUGE amount of RAM that is needed to have over 2000 .8bf plugins installed in either Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. And either program to actually start sometime before the end of this century.

That was my reason for getting Filters Unlimited and converting as many as I could to .ffx and loading most of them in that instead.

.8bf plugins load in memory at program start. The less you have the faster it will run.

Most of the free plugins and filters can be converted. The ones that can't, you leave alone. No matter how you look at it you are taking many .8bf's and replacing them with 1.

The main .8bf will still load when you start the program, but the 1000's of .ffx converted plugins it can hold are not loaded unless/until it will be used.

zridling:
That's my major gripe with graphics software — slow loading times. I can't wait to see how much slower Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro gets on a 64-bit system with 32G of RAM!

It'll happen. Just wait.

app103:
By making the plugin changes I described, I was able to get Paintshop Pro 7 to load faster on a system with 64mb of ram than I could on a system with 256mb of ram, believe it or not.

skywalka:
I think the idea of the page file will soon be eliminated as it will become unnecessary with systems getting more and more RAM.
-Josh (August 31, 2006, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
They should scrap the paging file, but they won't.  The more memory the user gets the more memory developers use.

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=143

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version