topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Including some scripts with next version  (Read 13445 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Including some scripts with next version
« on: March 26, 2005, 04:53 AM »
I was thinking it would be nice to add some ability to add functions that you could run through F&R robot,
like to be able to things like shutdown computer, etc.

but i was thinking maybe the cleanest most flexible way to do this is not to reinvent new features in f&r but rather use windows scripting and the normal ability of F&R to search shortcuts, and just maybe make it a tiny bit easier to work with.

so i was thinking to include with the next version some basic scripts in a subdir called Scripts, and automatically add this directory by default at the top of the search list with a reasonably high score bias.

scripts might include things like shutting down the computer, or performing operations like reporting disk usage, etc.

so you would hit break and then type "shutdown" and it would find the shutdown script and show it at top, etc.

if anyone has any scripts to recommend or can help me find scripts that would be useful i'd be happy to add them to the next release.

i could also add some minimal functionality to aid in working with scripts (ie editing and adding new ones).

opinions?

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Including some scripts with next version
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:36 AM »
Default scripts would be a cool idea.  I dont really know what all scripting can do so I cant give a list of actions that would be nice to perform, but I think that possibly the most useful "feature" would be to include enough samples and give good references on how to script (not necessarily written down in the help file, but could be references to websites).  This way, you could show people the power of scripting and give them the tools to get started. 

That being said, one thing I noticed in other programs is the ability to launch two or more programs in a certain order with a given delay.  I personally dont find this too useful but it would be something that the user would be forced to change to accomodate his needs (thus introducing him to scripting in a non-threatening way!).  Just some ideas,

Kevin

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 07:55 AM »
Another thought crossed my mind... what about launching websites?  I dont know if scripts would handle this or you could have FindRun do it but it would be neat to be able to type "weather.com" and have FindRun open the default browser and go to the site. 

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 08:05 AM »
thats a good idea, i will add it.
you can already have it search your ie favorites and launch them by clicking them,
just like launching any app.

but i think i will add the ability to type in a url directly.

i think i will also add ability to specify a custom file explorer and web browser for use in such operations and explore operations.

piedone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 03:24 PM »
maybe it would also be possbile to search for something...and when you find it...to assign it an alias...for easy finding. click right mouse button on a result and assign it a name....; next search...it can be also found by that alias.

what do you think?

piedone

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 06:48 PM »
i almost included that in the last release.

f&r has an alias feature already that even lets you make groups of programs under an alias.
i will add the right click -> add to alias
exactly as you suggest.

piedone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 03:47 AM »
thanks. it's getting better and better. this program has potential :))

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 07:24 AM »
not really sure how far you want to take 'find and run robot' mouser, but i can see with the latest suggestions the program is destined to incorporate all the well known command line features of it's competitors

with your enthusiasm to keep improving it i'm sure 'find and run robot' will soon surpass everything else out there. (let's face it; the initial version you released was way ahead of the pack anyway.)

on the subject of scripts, could you implement a feature that allowed searches to be done. say, type 'g vintage cars' and up pops google with the search completed for 'vintage cars'. typing a different first character would invoke a different search engine. i have this already set up inside the maxthon browser so that searches can be done in the address bar but it would be nice to do it straight from pressing the 'pause/break' key (i've seen it done with other command line utils).

taking the search idea further - how about if you could type in a search term and maybe even an initial start location you could then search for files on your hard drive(s). maybe specify the extension to the file, things like that.

piedone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 07:32 AM »
hehee
its strenght is also in its simplicity somehow. so...be careful mouser :))

one way not to overload it with features...is to make them enable/disable. so far it looks nice!

i notice our community here grows :)!

keep in touch,
piedone

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 07:38 AM »
i agree 100%
i am trying to make it usable right after install without any configuration,
but also tweakable for people who love to tinker with custom settings.