topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sharing user-dictionary spell files between programs  (Read 12474 times)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Sharing user-dictionary spell files between programs
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:55 PM »
Can the user-dictionary spell file I have continually open by Clipboard Help+Spell also be shared with The Forms Letter Machine spell checker?

Let me re-phrase my question.  Do applications such as Clipboard Help+Spell and The Forms Letter Machine only open the user-dictionary spell file for write access briefly (when needed) so as to minimize write conflicts between these two programs sharing the same user-dictionary file?

I would also like to share the same user-dictionary spell file with the Time & Chaos 6.0 contact manager, if possible.  It uses the same brand of spell checker.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sharing user-dictionary spell files between programs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:01 PM »
i could make an option for custom specifying of dictionary file location.
ps i also got your bug report that i introduced a wrapping bug in latest form letter machine; im on it.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sharing user-dictionary spell files between programs
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:41 PM »
i could make an option for custom specifying of dictionary file location.
There's already an option to specify Local Dictionaries built into the spelling checker.  My question is can several programs open those Local Dictionaries at the same time?  If so, would there be write conflicts in updating those dictionaries if one of those programs sharing the Local Dictionaries wanted to add a word?

Right now I have separate "superticker2.adu" user-dictionaries in the:

C:\Programs Files\Chaos Software\Chaos 6
C:\Programs Files\Clipboard Help+Spell\Dictionaries
C:\Programs Files\TheFormLetterMachine\Dictionaries

It would be nice to just have one private dictionary specified as a Local Dictionary file for all my spell-checking needs.  Does the Local Dictionary option let me do this now?  Will I get write access to these Local Dictionaries if I do?

If there's another website that documents how the spell checker manages its dictionary files, please cite that link.  I can investigate this more myself.