topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking For 'Windows Update' Like-Program  (Read 6086 times)

Bago

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking For 'Windows Update' Like-Program
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Hi I have been searching forever to help make updating programs easier, because it's such a time wasting hassle.  I've tried WebWatcher (great prog), and use BetaNews, but I was curious if anybody has ever heard of a program that actually watches websites for you and automatically downloads/installs programs in the background just like MS Update.  That would save me literally hours of websurfing... If anybody knows of anything like this please let me know :)

And another awesome feature of a program like this I'd like to see would be to update the folders corresponding to the version of the program... like for example:

Normally I place all downloads to C:\Programs\"Company Name"\"Software Name"\"Version"\--Place file here--

Then the program updates/renames the 'version folder' every download

C:\Programs\BitTorrent, Incorporated\BitTorrent\v4.20.9\BitTorrent-4.20.9.exe
if it was updated to 4.20.10...
C:\Programs\BitTorrent, Incorporated\BitTorrent\v4.20.10\BitTorrent-4.20.10.exe

Anything?

Gerome

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking For 'Windows Update' Like-Program
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Hello,

I've made a script using FBSL to update it...
Just have to complete it for your favourite appz :)
#option Explicit
#AppType CONSOLE

#DllDeclare Shell32( "ShellExecute" ), Urlmon( "URLDownloadToFile" ), Kernel32( "Sleep" )
MACRO RunEx(lpFile,lpParameters,nShowCmd) = ShellExecute(0,"open",lpFile,lpParameters,0,nShowCmd)

? "Trying to get the latest FBSL Setup..."
Dim %iRet = URLDownloadToFile( NULL, "http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.exe", ".\FBSLv3.exe", 0, NULL )
If iRet = 0 Then
  ? "Gotcha!"
  RunEx( ".\FBSLv3.exe", " /VERYSILENT", SW_SHOWNORMAL )
  ? "FBSL v3 silent Install in progress..."
  Sleep(2000)
End If
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:12 PM by Gerome »

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Brian Livingston's Windows Secrets newsletter actually covered just this subject over the past couple of weeks.

Gratuitous plug for something I love: The Windows Secrets newsletter is an awesome source of info, and its payment scheme is similar to DC - you can get a basic version of the newsletter for free. If you upgrade to the "paid" version (paying whatever you think the newsletter is worth) you get a much fuller-featured newletter and some extra bonuses too, like downloadable e-books.

So go to windowssecrets.com and check it out! (end of plug)

Anyway, there is a company called Shavlik Technologies (www.shavlik.com) that makes a tool that does everything Windows Update does, and more. It was originally geared towards Corporate MIS types, but there is a "personal" version available. And it's now free!

The edition of Windows Secrets that discusses this solution (and tips on how to use it) is here: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060720/. To quote:

WindizUpdate.com, an independent patch-download system, which I've been asked about by many readers, is a flawed alternative to Windows Update that I can't recommend. By contrast, patch-management software that's well-supported, such as Shavlik's NetChkPro, provides an inexpensive and reliable solution that far exceeds Windows Update's capabilities.

NetChk Protect, when installed on a single PC, scans across a peer-to-peer network or a server domain to determine which machines need updates for Windows, Microsoft Office, Firefox, Adobe Reader, WinZip, RealPlayer, Macromedia Flash, and other programs. The application can then deploy (install) the updates you determine. There's no need to preinstall an "agent" program to those other machines or visit them one-by-one to run the installs.

An antispyware disk and memory scan can also be conducted by NetChk Protect upon demand. This scan shouldn't interfere with other antispyware programs' scans, if they aren't carried out at the same time. NetChk Protect also offers real-time spyware protection, calling it Active Protection. This possibly could conflict with the real-time features of Webroot Spy Sweeper and similar antispyware utilities. But Active Protection isn't turned on unless you specifically configure the program that way.

There is also a solution for people who want to update PCs that are not connected to the Internet. However it involves downloading a gigantic baseline patch and then periodic updates that weigh in at about 30-70 meg each. If you think you need that, go to www.autopatcher.com.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

Bago

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Damn, thanks buddy.  I'll look into it

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Half the fun of surfing is checking for updates though!

Then again, I know what you mean, that time could be used for something usefull...  :-[