Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 17, 2014, 10:02:42 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Software Frustrations  (Read 14269 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:29:45 AM »

While I'm usually pretty quick to offer praise for software that I appreciate, I don't usually rant too much about the ones that drive me nuts, and my rants are generally pretty tame.

Support is always important, and that can drive me up the wall when developers don't support their products. (After spending a few hundred dollars on an upgrade, I'm steaming as the developer won't answer emails... as usual...)

Anyways, the last few incidents have pretty much pushed me over the edge, and while reading about some anti-spyware that just doesn't work (another pet peeve), I figured I'd whip up a site for complaining about software. Since most places like to keep clean, I figured a small spot on the Internet for airing out dirty software might be useful or at least cathartic.

So if anyone feels like ranting about something, there's no bad word filter.  Wink

Cheers,

Ryan

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »

Renegade, this is brilliant. I often devolve into cursing on my blog — for example, in this bombastic post — so I'm guessing Shitware will become wildly popular within a year — especially after Vista hits the streets!

- zaine (on Google+)
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 04:51:45 PM »

Hahahaha~! I read your blog there!  smiley

That's exactly the kind of thing I mean.

When software has you cursing and every second word is "f***". The other thing is support that never comes or support staff that know about as much as a dead hamster.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:56:54 PM »

why do i have a feeling zaine will soon be a mod on your forum  Grin
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:42:50 PM »

why do i have a feeling zaine will soon be a mod on your forum  Grin
To add ever more colorful language?
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 06:05:47 PM »

I blame my dad. I grew up helping him fix the car and every time he'd slip and smash his hand, which was often — he'd bellow out long strings of curses that were musical. Let's say he had good diction to say the least!

- zaine (on Google+)
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:05:30 PM »

I blame society! It's all THEIR fault!  Wink (Just kidding)

My parents never swore, and I've got one of the filthiest mouths I know of.

tsaint
Charter Member

Hi from the a*** end of the earth

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 11:40:10 PM »

Thanks Renegade, I've taken the opportunity to have a rant, in a polite and constrained fashion, on your site.
tony
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 11:54:55 PM »

I've taken the opportunity to have a rant, in a polite and constrained fashion, on your site.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
now i remember why i missed this place on my vacation  Grin
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 01:48:08 AM »

I blame my dad. I grew up helping him fix the car and every time he'd slip and smash his hand, which was often — he'd bellow out long strings of curses that were musical. Let's say he had good diction to say the least!

Just the opposite for me - my Dad's deaf, so I rarely got 'corrected' when I spewed #$%@ curse words.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 03:28:23 AM »

AHHHHHHHHH!!!  Cry

I made a great post! Then hit the preview and it logged me out...and my post is gone!

And I am too tired to go through the process of writing it all over again.  Sad

So this post will have to be my rant for the night.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 04:28:34 AM »

AHHHHHHHHH!!!  Cry

I made a great post! Then hit the preview and it logged me out...and my post is gone!

And I am too tired to go through the process of writing it all over again.  Sad

So this post will have to be my rant for the night.

For your next rant - the name of the software is DNN Forums  Wink

Yep - been there... Just happened yesterday. In a different forum I had one of those time soaker posts... Got deleted when posting back  Angry

It's best to check the "remember me" thing as that sets a cookie to keep you logged in. If you go past the timeout, then it's very painful Sad

Tony - Didn't you see the forum rules at the top? "Posts without excess profanity may be deleted."  Wink  Grin

rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 04:38:56 AM »

Renegade,

You should have added that you include a section for complaining about support!   Grin

Hmmm...  sort of area where maybe someone should design a smiley with jagged teeth...

tsaint
Charter Member

Hi from the a*** end of the earth

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 05:51:06 AM »

Tony - Didn't you see the forum rules at the top? "Posts without excess profanity may be deleted."  Wink  Grin

Bugger, I misread it. Off to rectify immediately. Thanks for the notification.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 06:45:01 AM »

HAHAHAHA~!

I got a great laugh out of that one  cheesy ~!

RjBull -
Yeah - support & software are a bit different so I seperated them. (I've got some half-decent software with horrid support.)

nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 07:27:47 AM »

nice idea. just wish i could think of some software that i really hate - really can't think of anything at the moment.
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 01:39:03 AM »

nudone, have you tried AOL lately or iTunes in the past few years? If not, meet me in the parking lot and let me slam the car door on your hand several times. Not only will you take up loud cursing, you'll know what it feels like to install those disasters on your system.  cheesy

Renegade, how about an "install/uninstall" section? Oh Vishnu, don't get me started on apps that toss a hundred or more entries to the Registry!

- zaine (on Google+)
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:51 AM »

AOL i just avoid, only time i see it is when it's on someone else's computer - as for itunes, yep, i do hate what i've seen and experienced.

[thoughts now forming in my head of software i do actually hate...]
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 06:49:51 AM »

Renegade, how about an "install/uninstall" section? Oh Vishnu, don't get me started on apps that toss a hundred or more entries to the Registry!
I didn't want to complicate things any more than necessary, so install/uninstall should probably just go in the software part. The support part is just for dealing with humans that behave like ****ware smiley

But doesn't that just FEEL GOOD to get out some of all that frustration!

As for the registry - I just don't get it. Why use it? Personally I prefer to do everything in an XML file and save that rather than go into the registry. It's easier to deal with and cleaner. It's also more portable for an XCOPY installation.

I really wish there were a good alternative to iTunes for an iPod. My entire music selection got erased from my iPod  Angry But what is there to say? Oh... I know - Mikey said it!

Cheers,

Ryan

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 08:16:06 AM »

have you tried AOL lately

hahaha...that was what my spontaneously combusted post was about...some really hilarious examples of what they call 'tech support'  cheesy

mrainey
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 08:35:34 AM »

don't get me started on apps that toss a hundred or more entries to the Registry!

The last time I uninstalled Symantec (NAV), it left behind more than a thousand entries, plus a number of folders and files.

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 03:57:07 AM »

have you tried AOL lately

hahaha...that was what my spontaneously combusted post was about...some really hilarious examples of what they call 'tech support'  cheesy

CompuServe are now part of AOL.  Same idea of tech support   
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 09:49:43 AM »

I *just* put up a poll for the worst media player... So far iTunes is winning with Windows Media Player coming in second. Place your vote here  Wink

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 11:23:52 AM »

A friend asked me to request that a hardware rant section be added....so he can complain about his router which has a rather odd flaw...by design....and what happened when he called the manufacturer's tech support about it.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 11:39:05 PM »

hardware rant section be added....
Done! Tell your friend to rant away smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.182s | Server load: 0.09 ]