topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SkyIDE - Latest Release Information  (Read 114420 times)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SkyIDE - Latest Release Information
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 09:48 PM »

I just uploaded Alpha 8

http://www.skyide.co...ds/SkyIDE_Alpha8.zip

Latest changes:

As stated earlier, there won't much changes/additions in this release. Instead I focused on improving the code that I believed had to be improved.

Project Explorer has been almost completely re-written (still works the same way as in Alpha 7) but the code now is much easier to manage, less complex, more flexible and reliable. Definitely better then the old way.

Bug fix: Rename Project didn't quite work the way it was meant to, now it does (I think)

Added: Now when you right click the project tree, the menu item "Rename Project" also has the project name next to the Rename Project text

Modified: The Create C++ and Java project dialogs have been modified to make it look more prefessional

Redesigned: the project right click popup menu and the Tab-bar right click popup menu. This makes it more user friendly (in my own opinion)

FIXED: there was a problem with the "Set as Main File" section. When you seleced the option, SkyIDE would have used an absolute path as a main file to the project *even* if the file was inside the project dir. Silly mistake caused because I forgot to modify this section when I was fixing another section that had the same problem. This is fixed now and a relative path is used.

plus many other bug fixes which I came across....which I can't clearly remember now :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:53 PM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 08:53 AM »
I am excited to announce the release of Alpha 9.

I think a separate SkyIDE forum will need to be created.

In this version:

Added: New tab on the Information Bar. "Line Search", type in some text and press "!Run" and all the lines containing that text in the current document will be outputed in the bottom edit control. When you click on a particular line that has been found, the line containing that text in the main file will be highlighted. You can also select/copy text/lines in the output. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.skyide.co...mages/linesearch.png

By the way, the syntax error on the screenshot was done deliberately, I kept typing anything...

This was suggested by "doublebogey". Thanks for the suggestion doublebogey :) He even built an external tool which was made compatible with SkyIDE for this functionality and asked me if I can have such or similar functionality integrated so I implemented it.

Added: Now the the compiler output pane says "Warning" when there is a warning and "Error" when applicable with C++ compilers. Before it was not distinguishing.

Fixed: In Custom compiler command, Borland compiler did not run when requested. Now it does :)

Download Alpha 9 from http://www.skyide.co...ds/SkyIDE_Alpha9.zip

Next version: Ummm Beta 1? Is it stable enough? I think it is.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 09:10 AM by alexk »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Congratulations on winning the contest, by the way, alexk!!

:Thmbsup: :beerchug: :Thmbsup:

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Thanks Gothi(c) :) I am very excited about it and don't know what to say.

Thanks too all the people that made this contest possible, Jesse from DonationCoder.com and all the people from Borland. This is a great achievement for me as I have never achieved anything like this before - being awarded for using my skills. It really means a lot to me.

I can't say Thanks enough to the people that made the contest possible so thanks again Jesse and Borland. I am very excited about it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:24 PM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 01:34 AM »
Alpha 10 or Beta 1 to be released soon possibly in 24 hours:

I have re-written entire sections, added a lot of stuff.

Now you have a "Compiler Profiles" section. There you can add as many compilers as you want of the same type. This can be quite useful when you want to test/compile your software with different versions of the same compiler to see how it compiles and runs. So this means, you can add/remove different compiler profiles dynamically.

Due to this advanced feature, many other sections had to be heavily modified in order to make them play along. I have spent most of the time fine tuning this section to make sure it works as expected.

Instead of selecting compiler parameters from the New Project Dialog, now you have a button which when you press, it pops up a compiler parameters dialog for the appropriate project type. This is nice because it gives me space to put a lot of parammeters freely in a dialog instead of stacking them in the New Project Dialog itself. This Parameters dialog is also available when you create Compiler Profiles.

I should upload a new build very soon. This new build seriously needs some testing to make sure there are no bugs so to anyone that is willing to test it, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 01:40 AM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 07:06 AM »
Announcement: SkyIDE Beta 1 Uploaded

Changes in this version, big upgade.

<b>Compiler Profiles</b>

Now you have a "Compiler Profiles" section. There you can add as many compilers as you want. This can be quite useful when you want to test/compile your software with different versions of the same compiler. This means, you can add/remove different compiler profiles dynamically. Due to this advanced feature, many other sections had to be heavily modified in order to make them play along. I have spent most of the time fine tuning this section to make sure it works as expected.

<b>Parameter Manager</b>

Instead of selecting compiler parameters from the New Project Dialog, now you have a button which when you press, it pops up a compiler parameters dialog for the appropriate project type. This is nice because it gives me space to put a lot of parameters freely in a dialog instead of stacking them in the New Project Dialog itself. This Parameters dialog is also available when you create Compiler profiles. Currently, this works but there is a small issue with it. It will be resolved.

<b>Enhanced Project menu</b>

The Project menu has been improved and now you have more options related to the Project. You can now open the output, source or the include directory of the selected project (if applicable)

Update: I have uploaded again Beta1, I had to fix some small mini bugs so if you downloaded Beta1 yesterday 18/09/2006 Australian time, this Beta1 today 19/09/2006 Australian time is a newer version. I just added a "New" button in the Compiler Profiles section, I fixed a few spelling errors and some minor bug fixes...

Download: http://www.skyide.co...ads/SkyIDE_Beta1.zip

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 08:55 AM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have taken a bit of break for the last few days. From now on, the official download URL for Betas will be http://www.skyide.co...oads/SkyIDE_Beta.zip regardless which Beta it is.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 05:47 AM »
I have uploaded Beta 3 of SkyIDE

Monday, 25 September 2006 (Australian)

- Fixed the Compiler Parameters dialog when adding parameters. Now it detects the pre-selected parameters you have selected.

http://www.skyide.co...oads/SkyIDE_Beta.zip

I re-wrote an important procedure and I think I made it fool prove so it cannot fail. Needs testing.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 10:02 PM »
fool prove

Something like:

try
  {
  Foo = DoSomething();
  }
catch(...)
  {
  // Will never reach this line. This code if infallible.
  }

? :P

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 03:01 AM »
I just tried to make sure it works alright regardless the user input but yea, never fail is impossible

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 03:11 AM »
I don't know for how long I can keep up with the project. Some of the user requests are pretty tough. I will do all I can to implement requests. The major con with me is the understanding of Windows OS in general. I have no problem with C++. If I know what to look for in Win32APIs I would have no problems but the problem is I don't know what to look for when I need something and have no one to ask so all you see in SkyIDE is done thanks to my own research. It's like re-inventing the wheel.

SkyIDE was originally started for educational purposes after all. Sometimes I have to ask the user twice/three times to make sure I understand the request right otherwise I will get it wrong. I have no intention to fight/compete against projects such as Dev-C++, Relo and others. It's pretty tough for a one man developer to fight against an army of developers.

I hope you all appreciate what you see in SkyIDE as I try my best. I have absolutely no problems open sourcing SkyIDE and I believe in free and open source software however, I have some very personal reason for having SkyIDE closed source.

I would like to thank DonationCoder.com again for all the support has provided me and Borland and other companies for making the contest possible.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 03:20 AM by alexk »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 03:37 AM »
Yeah, don't be a slave to the users :) You can implement feature after feature after feature, but somewhere along the line it's very easy to get lost. It's always important to keep your own goals in mind, and stick to the roadmap you have planned for the project. I'm sure it has been very much of a learning experience, as every large project is, and that nothing was in vain.
Thanks for sharing your IDE with us, and your programming experiences. :)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 06:12 AM »
No problems, sorry if my message sounded rather down. That was not intentionally. I just wanted to share with you what I am going through and let people know (people that might expect me to do evereything) that software development is not easy. I have no intentions of stopping development of SkyIDE. Next for Beta 4 I am gonna have to do some heavy thinking of finding a new way of re-writing and re-implementing the project manager (yet again). The current way just does not work, I thought it might have. I need to be able to add project folders in the project tree but the problem is, the tree view control that comes with BCB is very limitted. I can't even tell TTreeView to make the node bold! So I either have to extend/write my own TTreeView (something which I don't prefer because it's gonna take me too much time) or try to find another tree view component that will let me make nodes bold, have extra/spare string property which I can use etc but I am having trouble finding such a component. So, I will have to work and find a way with what I have at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:18 AM by alexk »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 06:31 AM »
the tree view control that comes with BCB is very limitted

- Yes, most of the default controls are very limited. Thank goodness that you can derrive controls from them, and add your own functionality!

... some heavy thinking of finding a new way of re-writing and re-implementing the project manager ...

The project manager is a very important part of an IDE and deserves some good thought indeed. Users need to be able to quickly navigate through their files. For more complex projects it is very important that the files can be ordered to reflect the structure of the project, usually within separate subdirectories, which should be shown and browsable in the project manager.
Because it carries these rather important responsibilities, the project manager contributes greatly to the overall 'feel' of the IDE.

...or try to find another tree view component that will let me make nodes bold, have extra/spare string property which I can use etc...

I'm usually not a fan of using third party components so I wouldn't be able to tell you what's out there. I'm sure mouser knows a few good treeview controls! But what you describe doesn't sound all too hard to implement, depending on how much the 'etc' includes. ;)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 06:42 AM »
Yeah I found one called TVirtualTree which seems to be very powerful, however, unfortunately I coudn't even install it. Their instructions don't work on my machine, I kept getting compiling errors. May be because I only have BCB 6 standard but I removed all DB entries so it should work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:43 AM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 07:02 AM »
A possible use of XML is in the equation.....

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2006, 01:13 AM »
In Beta 4

- Bug fix: a bug has been identified when pressing the Tab key. Convert tabs into spaces deletes chars when the carot is between text. This is fixed in beta 4.

- Currently working on dynamic auto complete list. The Auto Complete list will be populated with all of your ints, floats etc in your current document.

Beta 4 not ready but should be ready soon.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2006, 03:28 AM »
cool.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2006, 03:32 AM »
great work again, alexk!  :up: :Thmbsup:

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 08:18 AM »

Tuesday, 03 October 2006

SkyIDE Beta 4 Released.

Bug Fix: The C++ object bar did not work properly if you moved for example "int test = 0" to the next line! It wouldn't find the string. Same with the function bars. FIXED

Improvement: Cleaned up a lot of code, I have cut the loading time of the C++ object bar to half and most likely quicker. Completely re-written.

Bug Fix: The Convert Tabs Into Spaces feature.....

Added: Implemented a dynamic auto complete. For example, if you have "int test = 0; float test2 = 7.8", the auto complete would have "test" and "test2" as options and when you type "te" they will apear (hopefully). It works over here :) However it only detects built in types such as int, float, char etc. If you were to create your own class and use it as a type, it would not detect it. In order for this to work with your latest changes, the document must be refreshed. Simply check/uncheck the "Dynamic Auto Complete" or activate/deactivate the file by using the tabs or simply save the file.

Added a "Collector". Similar to the Tracker but with more options. Credit given to Maxthon Browser :) It sort of resembles Maxthon's Collector in functionality but with less features. The Collector is a global text box that is attached to the right edge (In SkyIDE) of the screen. You can drop any text you want from any document, you can add any text you want and the next time SkyIDE is launched, the text will still be there. You have an option to cut/copy save the text as a text file. I like this feature a lot.

http://www.skyide.co...oads/SkyIDE_Beta.zip
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 08:37 AM by alexk »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2006, 08:49 AM »
it sounds like SkyIDE is turning into one of the more innovative c++ ides.. very cool to see the progress.  :Thmbsup:

Gerome

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Hello,

I dunno if someone have tested lastest SkyIDe, but whan i try to execute SkyIDE.exe, i just obtain this box :
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2006, 03:37 PM »
That is weird. I never get that. Does it happen everytime you try to run it? What happens when you press Ok, does it cotinue to load or does it stop? If it does continue to load, are there in pics on the toolbars and menus? What operating system are you running? I have tested it on XP SP2 only and nothing else. I will try reloading the images in design time. I really have no idea why you get that message. Seems like a problem with Borland's built in VCL controls. Something must be currupted within design time but I never get that.

Can anyone else confirm the same error?

Win95/98/ME are officialy not supported.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:42 PM by alexk »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Thanks mouser :) Yes, I try to make it more user friendly as possible :)

Gerome

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I have win2k Sp4 FR.
The msgbox appears and when clicked onto OK then nothing appends...
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)