ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Archivarius questions (help using)

(1/5) > >>

Yatom:
As it has been pointed out on this forum previously, those who run Archivarius don't necessarily respond quickly.  Can someone familiar with the program answer these questions (or any of them) please.

1) Can the "hit highlighting" color for the primary search results be made different from the color of Ctrl+F (Find on Page) results?  In other words, I search for the word "Netherlands" and all the results are highlighted in a color of my choosing.  But currently, if I then use the Ctrl+F locator to search for other words, they get highlighted in that same color, making for some ambiguity.  Is there a way to make the colors different?

2) Can I specify a proximity search other than 10 words apart?  So far, I only see an option to search for words that are 10 words apart from each other.  But what if I want 25, 50, or 100 words apart for my search terms?  Can this be done?

3) I can't seem to do a simple "Exact" search.  I've search with quotation marks for "Nazarenes" and I end up getting results for "Nazarene" (in the singular).  Please tell me that this amazing program can do the most simple of things in the world: an Exact search.

4) Is there a way to run a search on only one kind of file type?  I have sticky notes in many of my pdf's, and I'm not sure, but I wonder if these are a specific file type.  How could I run a search that finds hits *only* in my Sticky Notes (i.e. comments) within pdf files?

Again, I've written their Support, but haven't gotten any response.  I would greatly appreciate if someone on this forum can advise regarding these questions.

Yatom

superboyac:
1, no
2, not sure, these are way fancier features than i use
3, not sure, i thought no quotations are exact and if you want not exact you use asterisks like *nazarene*
4, not sure, cant you specify the extension in the actual search term?

Yatom:
Thanks so much for this reply.

Quotation marks around a *phrase* are supposed to be exact, but not around a word.  Try it yourself if you are not sure.  Also, under the FAQ on Archivarius' webpage (http://www.likasoft.com/faq.shtml) it says the following:

"Question: Why morphology?
Answer: Morphological search function allows Archivarius 3000 to search documents using all grammar forms of the query word. For instance, if you enter the German word "gleich", Archivarius 3000 would also search for such its forms: "gleichen", "gleicher", "gleiche", etc. Ordinary search systems, which have no support of morphology, would search only for the form you enter. Archivarius 3000 fully supports morphology of English, German, French, Spanish, and other languages, making a total of 18."

I don't know why this question is listed under FAQ, but it *seems* to be suggesting that there is no exact search, as though the developer has been asked this question many times, and he felt the need to respond.  Though the above quotation doesn't state outright that there isn't an exact search, my hunch is that this is what he is addressing.

If anyone else can answer regarding my original questions above, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you to superboyac for your response.

Yatom:
Please someone:

I need your help.  I'm going dizzy over trying different desktop search engines.  Archivarius indexes well and searches fast, but literally (I-kid-you-not) cannot do an *exact* search for a word.  It tries to "think" for you and turns up morphological variants of what *you* (the user) typed in the search field.  Unbelievable!!!  You would think a program this powerful (index thousands upon thousands of files of all kinds in the universe) would actually let you search for an EXACT WORD.  No.  And the developer won't answer any email after a whole month!  Also, I need a greater proximity search range than merely 10 words.  That's a nice option, but I need 25 words apart, 50 words apart, or whatever I stinkin' like.

Just downloaded DtSearch.  Indexed fast.  Searches fast.  But takes FOREVER to open the same files Archivarius opens in no time.  I have an often cited .pdf file, which I'm constantly searching in with Archivarius.  It's big (750MB).  Archivarius opens it--the whole document in plain text--in 3 seconds flat.  Dtsearch takes 60 seconds--a whole minute.  Then when it finally does open in DtSearch, I can't use the Find on Page (Ctrl+F) utility, because it freezes up.  The program literally chokes on large files.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER DESKTOP SEARCH ENGINES OUT THERE THAT CAN DO 1) EXACT SEARCH (I.E. NOT "THINK" FOR YOU); 2) PROXIMITY SEARCHES 25 WORDS APART OR GREATER; 3) DON'T CHOKE ON LARGE FILES?

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING, IF YOU KNOW

YannickDa:
Well, yes you can search for an exact match. At the top left corner of the main program's window, click on "Enter Request" (blue & underlined), this will pop up a dialog box. Then in the third combobox (labeled "exact phrase"), type in the string you are looking for.
Et voilĂ ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version