ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

New version of ToDoList released

<< < (3/3)

rjbull:
Ok...first of all I am still considered a beginner at all this and there is still much I do not know how to do yet.

At the time I first wrote this program (over 1 year ago) it was much easier for me to create 2 plain text files and load one in each side than it
[...]
-app103 (August 27, 2006, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I thought it might be something like that.  Thanks for your valiant efforts so far.

Having 2 files is also a good idea if you want to export one for another purpose

--- End quote ---

Yes, I see the value.  There are other ways of getting the same thing, of course.  Although I'm not a programmer, I've been around a long  time now, and it looks to me as if you probably started with Windows, rather than in the deep mists of time with command lines and things like "fgrep -v"  :D

I like the 2 file system it currently uses and it's very useful to me like it is.

--- End quote ---

In which case you have no motivation.  Well, it wouldn't be the first time I made suggestions/requests that turned out to be in less than immaculate congruence with the intentions of the developer  ;)

Again, thanks for making it available now   :Thmbsup:

nudone:
app, thanks for making this little prog.

i've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that i've just read Mark Forster's book, Do It Tomorrow, and that he recommends using a closed 'will-do' list.

your little to-do list is pretty much the perfect thing for the method that he describes. the only thing missing, and this is why i make this request, is the ability to include 'unexpected' tasks to the list.

i'll explain his method...

each night you make a set 'closed' list of the things you will do the following day. the list should be realistic, i.e. you will be able to complete everything on it unless something really unexpected happens on the day.

it doesn't matter in which order you complete the tasks - the aim is simply to complete the full list (defining certain tasks as lower priority simply means you are less likely to do them).

any 'unexpected' tasks that arise that you really must get done that day are added to the list but set appart so that you can see they weren't in your original planned list - he recommends to put non planned tasks at the bottom of your list with a line separating them from your original plan (a different text colour would be enough i think).

the point of his method is that you are keeping control of what you are doing - you set yourself a realistic goal for the oncoming day and stick to it. any unforeseen tasks that you carry out on that day are added (but set appart) to your list so that you can see and monitor exactly where you lost control or managed to keep on top of everything.

his system is extremely simple and your minimalistic util is almost the perfect tool for the job.

it's just a suggestion.

thanks.

(just a quick edit: i realise now that the text colour difference wouldn't work as the text files wouldn't save this information - so, if you could a line or something would be good instead.)

nudone:
sorry, app, i'm talking complete nonsense...

instead of you changing the program all that is required is that i place an indicator such as ** or // or whatever before the task to indicate it wasn't originally on the list.

sorry.

app103:
sorry, app, i'm talking complete nonsense...

instead of you changing the program all that is required is that i place an indicator such as ** or // or whatever before the task to indicate it wasn't originally on the list.

sorry.
-nudone (August 29, 2006, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow...the easiest work I never had to do.  :P

app103:
Updated to v1.6:

New feature additions:

Global hotkey to add item:
  ctrl+shift+ins

command line parameter to open file
  use .tdo file path as command line parameter

ability to print done list

ability to minimize to tray

tray icon:
  single click = add new item
  double click = show application window
  right click = show popup menu

menu options:
      show window
      add item
      save list
      save list as...
      print to do
      print done
      new list
      open list

And I am very aware that my program shares the name with another popular one. I think it is time for a name change to get rid of the confusion.

i've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that i've just read Mark Forster's book, Do It Tomorrow, and that he recommends using a closed 'will-do' list.-nudone
--- End quote ---

Maybe I should consider changing the name to Will Do List? or Do It List? or 2bDone?

Let me know what you think.

http://appsapps.info/todolist.php

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version