topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: help: Explorer crashes while opning dirs with big files  (Read 5186 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
help: Explorer crashes while opning dirs with big files
« on: September 05, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Ok... This is getting way too anyoing, i thought it was about time i posted my problem here.
Well.. Basically, the thing is: both file explorers (explorer and dopus) crash when i open a directory that has many big files. (i think it mostly happens with .avi movies). What most intrigues me is that this happens not only when i access the disk but also if the files are on a dvd. As soon as i open that folder, the file explorer crashes.
Also, i am able to open the files (both by command line, or by the "open file" dialog of my video player).
Further notice that if i use winrar to browse to the directories in matter, it doesn't crash, which means it's a file-explorer related issue.

Any ideas?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: help: Explorer crashes while opning dirs with big files
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 06:40 PM »
i can give you a clue about this:
such things usually occur when you have some kind of explorer EXTENSION that is causing the trouble, rather than the file explorer itself.

in other words, look for any utilities you may have added that provide extra functionality like context menus, explorer columns, etc.  could even be antivirus program, etc.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:41 PM »
this is a common problem, which codec pack do you use?

try uninstall it and swithc to K-Lite Codec Pack.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 07:11 PM »
this is a common problem, which codec pack do you use?

try uninstall it and swithc to K-Lite Codec Pack.
Oh, man... why didn't i post before???
Thanks kimchii. apparently, that was my problem. I changed the codecs, and it's working now!
I wonder why it worked before and just stoped working from one moment to the next.
Well... But it's ok now, thanks to you.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:44 PM »
you're welcome and glad i could help.

you might want to do this too:

Clicking AVI Files on explorer causing 100% CPU Usage

Well windows seem to have a REALLY big problem when it comes to reading AVI files. It seems that when you click on an AVI file in explorer, it'll try to read the entire AVI file to determine the width,height, etc. of the AVI file (this is displayed in the Properties window). Now the problem with Windows is that if you have a broken/not fully downloaded AVI file that doesnt contain this info, Windows will scan the entire AVI file trying to figure out all these properties which in the process will probably cause 100% CPU usage and heavy memory usage.

To solve this problem all you have to do is the following:

1. Open up regedit
2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Voila! Please not that this will no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But its a small price to pay for saving you resources.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony