ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (51/244) > >>

Yatom:
Those of you who have Archivarius, do you know if a proximity search greater than only 10 words apart can be performed.  Currently (and I have the newest version; 4.79), a search like this  [president...issued]  will only find the words "president" and "issued" if they are within 10 words of each other.

That's great, but I want to be able to specify a greater range, such as 25, 50, or 100 words apart.  Also, I seriously vexed by the fact that program doesn't have an exact search (!!!)  If I search for "Nazarene" (including the quotation marks), it will turn up results for "Nazarene" and "Nazarenes" (plural).

The latter refers to a specific group of people, and has a different meaning than just "Nazarene."  Why in the world would a program as powerful as Archivarius not be able to do an *exact search*?

I'm asking because I've tried contacting the support, sales, and whoever for over a month now.  No response--not one single response from multiple email addresses I've sent from.  Nothing.  So anybody who knows anything about these questions above, I would be very happy to hear back.

Dormouse:
Well this is interesting....why do you go to the Journal as a middleman?  I use the Journal also, so I am wondering.-superboyac (March 05, 2020, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
It imports Evernote export files and exports into individual documents (rtf, txt, docx, pdf, or html).-Dormouse (March 05, 2020, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Since deciding to switch to using a tablet more, I've been checking out other programs. Diaro and Diarium especially. One of them will import enex files and export into individual documents, which would bypass The Journal completely.
Also looked at programs for writing to see if there are ones I'm not familiar with.  Pure Writer seems most attractive of these so far,  though the Pro cost (£9.99) seems high for an Android program.

wraith808:
What pure writer are you looking at?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drakeet.purewriter&hl=en_US

Dormouse:
That's the one. Some concerns because it's Chinese. Only had a quick look so far and the features aren't well explained. Looks as if a lot of writing could be done in it without taking it anywhere else,  but would still need to come back to a PC in the end. I can work with the colour scheme and the typewriter greys all lines except the one you're working on, which is especially useful on a tablet.

Lots of programs I'm happy writing in, but not so many facilitate the organisation of a larger work too. I don't know what I will do,  but hadn't seen this one before. Very little in the way of reviews etc.

One thing I probably will do is use Diaro/Diarium for daily small writings.   I think either would be more comfortable to use than Evernote and they would only have the one use, whereas Evernote has many.

Dormouse:
That's the one. Some concerns because it's Chinese. Only had a quick look so far and the features aren't well explained. Looks as if a lot of writing could be done in it without taking it anywhere else,  but would still need to come back to a PC in the end. I can work with the colour scheme and the typewriter greys all lines except the one you're working on, which is especially useful on a tablet.
-Dormouse (April 01, 2020, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Looked at it further. The developer appears to work for Microsoft.
Probably has all the functionality I'd want on a tablet or phone. There's an early alpha of a desktop version for synchronising; developer emphasises that it's very early, has bugs and very incomplete functionality: I've not tried it yet.
It's .txt or .md only. This might get me to move predominantly to plaintext. ;D Would want to check out export to WriteMonkey or Scrivener (etc).

One of the good things for me is extensive options for backgrounds, so I can get the best possible visual setup. Dark themes work okay in this format, but more control on appearance is better.

Interesting enough for me to give it a trial.
But the lack of documentation - guide or manual - is irritating. Most things I can work out but not all. And some features seem unlikely to be fixed, but I can't see how to edit them. That said, most is easy and the updates are so frequent that any manual would soon be out of date.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version