ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (46/244) > >>

superboyac:
are you talking about seeing a bunch of notes at once?  like full notes in several windows or boxes on the screen?  If so, yes, that would be an awesome feature. 

evernote is good at that, showing multiple notes at once....at least from what i remember. i can't think of others i use that can do that.

Dormouse:
are you talking about seeing a bunch of notes at once?  like full notes in several windows or boxes on the screen?  If so, yes, that would be an awesome feature.  -superboyac (December 18, 2019, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. Google Keep does it of course.

I don't need the whole note. Just sufficient to know whether it's what I think I remember. In a timeline I can speed through. The note pane will show the whole note, but I won't look at that unless I think it might be the right note. Similar UI view need as an email client.

Many programs do something similar, but they vary on how to see the timeline and on how much of the note you can see in the extract (few have options to set this). I like Evernote's implementation for this, but the colours are wrong and there are the other concerns.

The use case is trying to replicate the function of an old writer's notebook or diary (old fashioned diary where you write in the new date/time with every entry - not something pre-printed). Can be useful for finding something that you know you did two years ago, probably. Unnecessary if you remember a tag you gave it or a word you used (assuming no typo), but otherwise quickly scanning through approximately the right period is usually successful. Also useful for browsing: you see something you did, it strikes a chord it hadn't at the time, then you look around for other notes fitting the new chord. A bit like a mine going through its spoil heap with updated extraction methods.

Dormouse:
An unrelated observation arising from my new freedom to focus on a single workflow largely based on documents, is that I'm quite ruthlessly ditching many 'best' programs. If they are important for a project, then  that's fine but otherwise out. Trello, for example, will probably go even though it's a good personal fit. Easy share from Android has become a key feature which frees me from requiring a particular program on all platforms. Many things will be shared with Evernote (but could easily be something else) which can then be exported to documents or The Journal. I'll probably use Microsoft ToDo because it will fit in rather than any better ToDo solution.

Paradoxically I can envision the possibility of using Evernote more not less. It's quite good at merging notes for saving into documents.

All part of a brain decluttering process.

Dormouse:
So far, the biggest irritation for a program that is a diary equivalent is, despite hierarchical organisation, the Category and Calendar mode seems to works as fixed folders rather than virtual folders or filters. Evernote has this one nailed.
I’ve not found a convenient way to see all notes from a given chunk of days. -Dormouse (December 15, 2019, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Two solutions currently.

1. All entries in one journal/Category. It's then possible to scroll through all entries one month at a time.
2. Using Topics and Search by Topic. A lot of control of which entries are seen, and for what period. Downside for me is that it is not so visually comfortable. And requires that the tagging be done.

I can manage with this.

Dormouse:
Nice to be back to content. I've spent far more time on programs than I anticipated.
Feeling good at the moment.

In my mind, the zettelkasten works like having my own room in the Bodleian, with my current activities laid out on a large table in the middle, surrounded by small bookcases with the books needed for immediate references.
If I want more, or am moving on, then I can wander round the main library collecting books and other materials as I need. And if I need to do a detailed trawl into less familiar materials, I can ask the librarians to bring me stuff that might be relevant from the stacks.

Concentric circles. The more intensely worked material on the table in the middle, with all my notes; linked books and journals nearby. Associated material a little further away and stuff I might conceivably available after a little search.

I'll probably use Microsoft ToDo -Dormouse (December 19, 2019, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
No I won't. Still too complicated for my needs. Also insufficient.
Google Keep I think. Always liked it for lists. I'll have as many checklists as I want, when I need them. Share with Evernote (& then the zk when I think the record might be useful). I know I could do it in Evernote, but I always find that more cumbersome for checklists.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version