ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts on What's Wrong with the Business End of Blogging..

(1/1)

mouser:
I know I'm not the only one that finds Robert Scoble painful to read (http://scobleizer.wordpress.com/).

Does being so over the top in terms of being self-absorbed, name-dropping, self-promoting, self-hyping, etc., really help people in business?  Personally I find it almost unbearable.  Does this stuff help them get business, or are they naturally this way (or both?)

It's not that I don't believe in being proud of your skills and achievements and being able to express that, but basically what these people are in a whole different universe of self-promotion.  Someone please tell me these blogs just a more subtle form of satire produced by the Onion?

Is there a word for people who sound like they are about to explode from giddiness about how many rich people they are meeting?  I'd like to propose we introduce one: "Scobler: Someone who becomes ecstatic about meeting rich/powerful people so they can mention that they know them"

Actually what really made me finally post about Scoble was this quote on his blog today:

I remember meeting Adriana Foley, the blogger who keeps 17 blogs, including the one on Linday Lohan. She actually says she hates doing the Lohan blog, but that’s what pays the bills so she does that to fund her other blogging.
--- End quote ---

I guess this is what we've come to - people blog now for the money, even when they hate what they are blogging about.  And it doesn't even raise an eyebrow.  Hey, if you find yourself writing a blog about something you hate just to make money off the blog - do us all a favor and find a different job.

mitzevo:
Lol.. well many people blog for the money/profit, and many people blog because they like too.. simple enough.

zridling:
This along with paying people to create Digg links and write fawning things about software in forums, blogs, and chatrooms. Money influences everything, but when it warps reality, then it's just propaganda.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version