ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's the future of OneNote?

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
I didn't want to ruin Iainb's nice onenote thread for this, so im starting this thread...

What's the deal?  I was so annoyed to find out Onenote 2019 doesn't exist and they've replaced it with the eponymous "Onenote" that is not even a regular download, only a store download?  But even beyond that, they have completely revamped the interface.  Nothing wrong with it really, even some things are nice.  It is quite different than the previous versions.

The BIGGEST PROBLEM is that it seems to not be able to open, import, export etc the previous notebooks the same way.  I didn't experiment fully since I immediately ran to Onenote 2016 to make sure all my notes were safe.  But it seems to demand you to sign into your MS account to work, and probably all your notes need to be synced or at least available for syncing.  Very annoying.

There would be no problem if they didnt mess with the Open, Import, Export options.  but they did of course. 

So what does this mean?  If this is the end of locally stored onenote files, then it's time i once again move to another program.  Like Rightnote, which i already used pretty heavily until IAINB DEMANDED I USE ONENOTE!!!

lol

if rightnote could somehow mimic the whiteboard aspect of onenote, that would be great.

rgdot:
FWIW DoogiePIM has 'Noteboard' which is close to OneNote, however there is no OneNote sync or mobile version

wraith808:
http://onenote-for-beginners.com/onenote-office-2019

My notebooks are in the cloud, so I see them in the one note app (even though I'm still using 2016) and can sync between them.

And a big FU on the FAQ page

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-OneNote-and-Office-2019-6582c7ae-2ec6-408d-8b7a-3ed71a3c2103#bkmk_12

How do I access my local notebooks in OneNote for Windows 10?

In the latest versions of OneNote, your notebooks are stored in the cloud so you can access them from anywhere.

If you have any local notebooks, you can move them to OneDrive or SharePoint Online, so you can access your notes from anywhere. On-Premises SharePoint is also supported. To get started, simply open OneNote for Windows 10 and follow these instructions to move your notebooks to OneDrive. OneNote always keeps a copy of your notes cached on your device, so you can access them even if you’re offline.

We understand and respect that some people might not want any data stored in the cloud. For the vast majority of OneNote customers, however, having access to their notes on all their devices is a core part of the value of OneNote. We know that this means some of you might look for other solutions, and we understand. We have an open file format that other note-taking apps and developers can use to export notes from OneNote.

--- End quote ---

rgdot:
In other words:
"You don't like the cloud then leave, we don't give a $#&%"

:D

IainB:
@rgdot:
In other words:
"You don't like the cloud then leave, we don't give a $#&%"
 :D
-rgdot (October 01, 2019, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, at least it's a rather clear statement of future OneNote direction from MS  :o  - one that I hadn't seen before, but which apparently expressly excludes that sector of the market that wants/needs to hold its databases on local devices (PCs, laptops).
I wonder whether all of MS Office (i.e., not just OneNote) is being sunsetted in the same way? Not sure whether that idea would meet my requirements.
Another Q I have now: Why didn't MS sunset Microsoft Money in the same way (migrate to the Cloud)? They could have done, and the market was clearly headed in that direction.   :tellme:

In my OneNote experiments, I've migrated my Notebooks to the cloud, and it's been pretty much rock-solid stability and dependability for those Cloud-based Notebooks, and a real boon for when I move to using another laptop.
However, I'm now wondering whether I will in fact be able to revert and migrate my Notebooks back to the local device, or even use the backups locally that I have made along the way.
Just supposing: Maybe it's a "gotcha" - "Oh, didn't we tell you there's no going back?"    ;D

Google led the way when they introduced the Chromebook, Suddenly, there was another generically useful bunch of Cloud apps that didn't need an expensive DOS/Windows-based device, but was compatible with them anyway (because the Cloud apps are Agnostic in terms of OS dependency).  Shock horror for MS.
So are MS heading in the same direction?

Incidentally, I came across  this today: (might be of use, but it's just migrating to another Cloud-only system)
evimsync
Sync Evernote notes with IMAP, Import Evernote to Onenote
EvImSync is a simple tool to sync notes between Evernote and GMail Evernote2Onenote is a tool to import Evernote notes to OneNote.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version